Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2012, 04:37 PM

Frozen vegetables

I don't like frozen vegetables. With the exception of frozen peas and sweetcorn, could eat them everyday.
I really hate frozen brocolli or cauliflower, and brussels ugh.
Oddly enough, if I freeze my own stuff they are ok eg: runner beans.
If I buy extra veg, I always cook it and freeze it and I'm quite happy to eat it but I don't know what they do to the veg you buy frozen, it changes texture and flavour
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2012, 05:19 PM

Re: Frozen vegetables

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I don't like frozen vegetables. With the exception of frozen peas and sweetcorn, could eat them everyday.
I really hate frozen brocolli or cauliflower, and brussels ugh.
If I buy extra veg, I always cook it and freeze it and I'm quite happy to eat it but I don't know what they do to the veg you buy frozen, it changes texture and flavour
Janela I am the same just peas and sweetcorn for me too.
I guess because they are of a similar texture and have a thickish 'coating'unlike the brassicas, they freeze ok.

(I was just about to post a thread on freezing beans )
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2012, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Janela for years I have blanched my beans in boiling water and cooled them quickly in cold. I read somewhere this wasn't necessary just freeze them so I did .
The first year I tried it they were ok but I only did a few and ate them quickly. Last years were horrid and I struggled to eat them.

How do you freeze yours?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2012, 06:56 PM

We keep frozen peas, french beans and broccoli as useful standbys, but these days fresh veg is so available I hardly think it's worth it sometimes, just for the convenience really I suppose.

We used to blanch and freeze our own runner beans, but these days they seem so tasteless I don't think we'll bother until we can grow a variety which actually tastes of something! We do have a good crop of french beans this year however, so we may freeze some if we have a real glut, but by the time we have given away to friends and family it might not be worth it.

Like you Meg we were told not to bother blanching, but I never think they are as good as blanched, even if they are eaten in a relatively short space of time, so if we do freeze anything I think that we will blanch them first...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

10-08-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->

We used to blanch and freeze our own runner beans, but these days they seem so tasteless I don't think we'll bother until we can grow a variety which actually tastes of something! We do have a good crop of french beans this year however, so we may freeze some if we have a real glut, but by the time we have given away to friends and family it might not be worth it.
Interesting you find them tasteless too Barry , do you think we are loosing our taste with age or is it down to modern variety grown for quantity not flavour.

I have picked another 6lb to freeze, at least they will count as one of my 5 a day even if they are tasteless
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2012, 07:08 AM

Its the age thing, you loose your taste buds I think, everything tastes the same these days.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2012, 10:16 AM

A friend was commenting the other day on how the organic, corn fed, free range chicken I'd just given him was so much more tasty than the ordinary ones, I told him it was an ordinary one but I'd mixed garlic paste with butter and put it under the skin before roasting. I always sprinkle herbs or spices over things to give them more taste, cos I dn't use salt (only on fish and chips). I froze cauli, runner beans and french beans without blanching and they were fine hate commercially frozen cauli brocallie and sprouts.
Anji0007
Wales UK
Anji0007 is female  Anji0007 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2012, 07:51 PM

We freeze fresh veggies from our garden, & when they are reasonably priced in the shops,i find its better to blanch them as soon as possible,
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2012, 11:54 PM

Today we ate some of our runner beans from the freezer. I had sliced them and put them straight in the freezer, no blanching and they were quite nice. The colour was good and the taste was nice.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2012, 12:45 PM

As I don't have access to a garden or allotment, I have no choice but to rely on shop bought veg. I use 'Iceland' for most of my frozen veg, mixed veg or stew pack are ok, as are frozen peas and sweet corn. Because of a medical problem, I'm not allowed any of the brassicas as it interferes with my medication. I do have fresh potatoes, leeks, and parsnips, but all other veg is from the bags of frozwen stuff in my freezer. Its also more economical that way, as I can use as much or as little as I want without having to waste and throw the remains away if I don't use it all at once.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top