Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 10:43 PM

Re: Frozen vegetables

this sounds good
Preheat oven to 375°
Chop a head of broccoli (do not rinse, immediately prior to preparing!)
Mince 2-3 cloves of garlic
Put broccoli, garlic, 2 tbsp. olive oil, and a few shakes of salt and pepper in a ziploc bag.
Shake it up!!
Spread out on baking sheet, place on top rack, and bake for about 30 minutes.
Broccoli will be crunchy and delicious! I make this at least 3 times a week and have to control myself once I take it out of the oven, I could eat this alone for dinner
not tried it, but hate broccoli so going to try it
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2013, 10:46 PM

Fresh caulis have been very cheap here at the moment. So I have been buying, blanching and freezing them.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 02:18 AM

Now that's a strange coincidence Seasprite as have just watched 'bitching kitchen' with Nadia G and she did almost the same thing with kale, except all she put into bag with the veg was oil, then roast in 350 oven (whatever that is in English) then sprinkled it with cider vinegar and sea salt. Apparently kale really is a 'wonder' food, high in protein, vit C, iron and forget what else.

As for freezing stuff, remember when my then partner and I bought a chest freezer when the domestic variety first came available. There was a series of little booklets/magazines called Freezer Digest, with all sorts of hints and tips, and all these timings for first blanching then chilling veggies. I always found that however careful you were cauli always came out soggy and tasteless. Then one day I was given two ginormous fresh caulli's just before going away for a long weekend. There was no time to faff about, and did not want to risk leaving them to go to seed or go bad, so just broke all the florets off, divided them between two carriers (this was before the compulsory holes in plastic bags) squeezed out as much air as I could, tied the handles in a tight knot and bunged them in hoping for the best. And they were delicious! Never bothered blanching again.

Oh and have to agree, frozen carrots are like rubber!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Rarely buy fresh veg (only when it's marked down cheaper) all we have is frozen, much prefer frozen for no waste, convenience and taste.
Me too - not that I like vegetables much; I only eat sweetcorn peas and carrots and only then when I haven't got a dead animal to chew on.

Feed the man meat!

As an aside; Home freezing is just about guaranteed to ruin food compared to commercial snap freezing.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top