Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 10:21 PM

Re: Endoscopy procedure - Picolax

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Yes definite!y go ahead and have the procedure done, don't think twice.

Major tips...
1. Arrange for someone to take you and fetch you, on no account drive yourself.
2. Do exactly as the instructions say re preps. Stock up on consommé soups, and if you like Bovril to drink, that's good.
3. Treat yourself to a large tub of Zinc and Castor Oil cream and slather it on thickly after each loo visit. I kid you not, this is the best tip I've EVER had in my life!!!
4. Don't arrange to go anywhere or do anything except be be very near a loo for 24 hours before the appointment.
5. When the nurse asks you if you want the sedative (it doesn't make you sleepy just very relaxed) say yes please the legal limit and then some
6. You get a little zzzzz and a cuppa and a biccy if you've had the sedative!!
7. Take your sense of humour with you for when they offer you the paper pants!!!!!
..... and be prepared for gale force winds
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 11:04 PM

*pfffffffffffffff!!!!!*

Yes, they warn you may want to fart during the procedure because of the air they pump in! Heh heh.

Some great advice from you all. Thanks.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
*pfffffffffffffff!!!!!*

Yes, they warn you may want to fart during the procedure because of the air they pump in! Heh heh.

Some great advice from you all. Thanks.
Hold on tight to your bed!
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 11:38 PM

it'll all blow over soon enough
Water Dragon
Brisbane Australia
Water Dragon is male  Water Dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Received my letter today asking me to call and make the above appointment. Picolax is the laxative I would need to take, 3 sachets, starting the day before.

The more I read about it, the more I'm turning against the idea, especially as I need to starve for so long! Yeah, I know, I have enough fat on me to see me through.

However, it's also the thought of taking the Picolax and how it works that I'm not sure about.

Has anyone here had this procedure, and taken this stuff? How was it? Did you have the sedative? (I could either try my brother, or my platonic male friend, who only recently said if I needed taking to any appointment to just ask.)

Thanks.
Jazzi I am not sure of the name of the mix that somebody in family had to take and it ran the inside out of the person.
If it is not too late check with your doctor as there is a much kinder tablet form that can be taken and you will not have to drink the large amount of the other mixture and it is much kinder in the end result.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 09:35 AM

Thank you again for your replies.

Water dragon, maybe I will ask the clinic when I book the appointment.

Mags, you're absolutely right about my history and the need to investigate. That's why I'm struggling here, as I know it's the right move.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 09:47 AM

The laxative is very... thorough... shall I put it. Have some cream for soreness and stay within dashing distance of a loo at all times. Air fresheners are a must.

They did give me the sedative but sadly it didn't work for me, for some reason. I wish it had. The people carrying out the procedure were quite taken aback when I joined in a conversation they were having about books. Apparently I should have been pretty much out of it yet I was fully aware.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 09:49 AM

I’ve also had the procedure (and the preparation!) It isn’t that bad. I agree with what others have said about the preparation. It is very much worth while.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 10:12 AM

Every hospital has its own favourite bowel prep.
If you google bowel prep you'll find a huge amount of reading matter and some gentler more alternative regimes.
But the end (sorry!) result is the same, you must have a pink squeaky clean tract or they won't do the exam.
Picolax seems to be the favourite but there are others.
I've found that if you switch to a fibre free white diet a couple of days before it makes the process a whole lot easier.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 12:45 PM

Wish you well with the appointment - I'm sure it will be a breeze x

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top