Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Anji0007
Wales UK
Anji0007 is female  Anji0007 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2012, 07:25 PM

Re: Bread and butter pudding

I am also type 2 diabetic, but i buy the sugar free Marmalade , & also use splenda in cooking, you can create your own reciepe , its nice to be adventurouse ,
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2012, 11:17 AM

How long have you all been Diabetic? This is my 22nd year. I started off on just two tablets, but the Doctor realized they were not working, so they put me on four tablets and after about 6 years they decided to put me on Insulin Injections plus the tablets. Its amazing how we get these things, as I have never had sugar in my entire life, I have always eaten healthy and none of my family have got it and I am not overweight.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2012, 11:27 AM

Susie darlin' - was only diagnosed a few weeks ago - apparently only mildly so, as its being controlled with diet alone and not medication (Metformin). Have had eye test - they're ok, had my feet checked - they're fine too and have only made a few minor changes to my diet.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2012, 07:50 PM

Hi Uncle Joe, I do have problems with my right eye, they call it Diabetic changes and may need Laser treatment. Also my Toes, when I go to bed at night all of my Toes go numb.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2012, 07:30 PM

I have to say that the watery bread and butter pudding served at school permanently put me off the official version. However my mother used to make her own version.

Two day old bread, mixed fruit or your choice of dried fruit, butter or your choice of spread, your choice of jam, and pint of birds custard.

Cut crusts off bread and spread with spread and jam, layer into casserole dish or whatever, alternate with layer of dried fruit, finishing with bread butter and jam, then pour on the custard, ensuring that it soaks right through to bottom. Put dish in medium oven until exposed bread is crispy and it is hot all the way through.

The bread goes all chewy and lush and it is heaps better than the egg custard version.

I have also made this using stale fruit teacakes, obviously not adding extra fruit, and cutting the teacakes into vertical slices and not horizontally in half. Again yum.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2012, 05:35 PM

To me bread and butter pudding, as made to the correct recipe is the devils own food, yeuch and double yeuch, although this may be because when I had it as part of school dinners decades ago it was probably made with one egg for a gallon of milk. However me old mum used to make her version. Butter and jam slices of bread, layer into dish with dried fruit of choice in between layers, then pour over a pint of nice thick Birds custard, making sure some of the crusts poke through, then leave aside for a while to allow bread to soak up custard, then place in medium oven to heat through. The custard will form a yummy skin, the bread crusts poking through will go crispy and the bread will absorb custard and form lovely pudding texture. In fact come to think of it have some stale bread and excess milk, methinks I know what tonights pud will be.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top