Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Re: Prepared meals.

It's fine for those who have access to Sainsbugs etc.. but not up here - our nearset one is 45 miles away!

I think that a lot of people here buy 'carry outs' from local eateries and I sometimes despair at this when we have access to so much top quality food.
I feel that since food plays such an important part in life, people should make time to prepare and enjoy it. When I hear "Oh, I never have time to cook / eat", I think that they've got their priorities all wrong.

The only time I don't cook is when we're on holidays.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2012, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->

I feel that since food plays such an important part in life, people should make time to prepare and enjoy it. When I hear "Oh, I never have time to cook / eat", I think that they've got their priorities all wrong.
Some of us still work you know. I don't get home until 7pm Mon - Thiur and on those days no I don't have time to cook and I get ready meals. The other three days I cook proper meals even though I am on my own.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2012, 04:20 AM

I have several strategies in place for feeding myself. I have time to cook but the cooking usually takes longer than the eating which seems to me a total waste of time for a single meal. If it wasn't so why did god invent the microwave oven?

I cook in bulk and freeze the resulting meals; usually five or five meals at a time. I also buy frozen meals from the supermarket when they are on special, again, usually four or five at a time (my freezer has enough prepared meals to keep me going for several weeks).

Finally, and this is my preferred option, I eat out at restaurants several times a week, there is an excellent Thai restaurant at the end of my street and several Chinese and Lebanese within walking distance. Then there is always the local club.

Works for me.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2012, 05:16 PM

I must admit, I don't eat ready prepared meals, I cook everything myself, also my husband does not cook, not even a piece of toast, so I have to do everything, even when I went into Hospital for 2 weeks, I cooked most things for him and put them in the freezer, all he had to do, was put them in the oven, or go to his Mum's for dinner.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2012, 05:36 PM

Susie darlin' I first learnt to cook my own food from Dragon whilst still a teenager at school (boys weren't allowed in domestic science classes back then) because I swore I would NEVER eat out of packets and tins whilst George and Dragon went away on holiday (very uncool for teenage boy to go away on holiday with parents!!!).

Before she died (2 years ago) Dragon stated that I was a better cook than she was because I am more adventurous in the kitchen. Living alone I do have to cook my own meals (up to and including my own puddings, cakes and sponges).
Anji0007
Wales UK
Anji0007 is female  Anji0007 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2012, 07:28 PM

I cook for the freezer, make extra & freeze it, saves time & money too
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2012, 10:49 PM

Both me and my husband cook and freeze food that has been cooked including home made bread. We eat out and will occasionally eat a ready meal. Variety is the spice of life and a little of what you fancy does you good. So they say
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2012, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Both me and my husband cook and freeze food that has been cooked including home made bread. We eat out and will occasionally eat a ready meal. Variety is the spice of life and a little of what you fancy does you good. So they say
Oh I heartilly agree on the last one Mesco
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2012, 11:14 AM

Uncle Joe, that's good that you are a good cook. I think all Men should know how to do cooking even if it's just the basics, you never know when the Wife's not going to be around. I think Men and Women should all learn how to do each others things.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2012, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Uncle Joe, that's good that you are a good cook. I think all Men should know how to do cooking even if it's just the basics, you never know when the Wife's not going to be around. I think Men and Women should all learn how to do each others things.
I taught my son how to cook before he reached teenage, his wife however never learned and still can't make gravy even with gravymaker, they've been married 16 yrs.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top