Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2012, 01:04 PM

Re: Prepared meals.

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Uncle Joe, that's good that you are a good cook. I think all Men should know how to do cooking even if it's just the basics, you never know when the Wife's not going to be around. I think Men and Women should all learn how to do each others things.
Cooking is another of those tasks that are really simple to grasp and easy to execute - plenty of instruction books about, sorry, recipe books. Never understood the fuss made about cooking, as a single parent bringing up three teenage children it was just another job to do when I came home from work.

Actually when I think about that is when I first started to make bulk meals. Because I worked 12 hour shifts I often had to leave meals for the kids to heat up themselves however I wasn't prepared to let them have supermarket food so I would make complete meals and freeze them.

Supermarket meals are OK for old fellas like me but no good for growing bodies.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2012, 02:27 PM

Weve lived on ready prepared food for the last nine weeks because I was getting over a operation. When I was in hospital we were given microwave ready meals and patients said how bad the food was but I loved it because it was what I was used to .

I hate cooking and can't cook much. I'm afraid we eat alot of ready prepared meals Well who wants to waste all their time in the bloomin' kitchen I don't! There's not so much washing up either.

I must admit I've never tried the Sainsbury's range, but I will do now.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2012, 04:17 PM

Hi Alison,

Have you tried the Wiltshire Farm Foods, which they deliver to your door? I have heard they are quite nice.

Sue x
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2012, 07:19 PM

Have to admit that I really enjoy cooking, my only problem now is that after all these years of doing so, am getting fed up of having to think what to cook. Luckily enough my son has become quite a decent cook over the years and manages quite a few things, from full roast dinner, to stir fry's,and he has mastered the 'swirly thing'. The only time have purchased pre cooked things is either for myself when he is working until 8 and eats at work (I prepare and freeze him meals to take on those days) at these times buy a small meal from local co-op for myself, although will more likely have some soup and crusty roll. OR in the days when I would do a big Tesco shop (about 6 - 8 weeks) I would look see if there were any of those big trays of pasta meals or shepherds pie type thing in the reduced section to have when we both got home. They were actually quite tasty and good value for money. Oh and Lidle do an amazing full sized lasagne which is almost as good as home made.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2012, 07:47 PM

Des darlin' - these so-called 'ready meals' in the supermarkets are ok if you have an appetite like a bird, but most of them wouldn't even fill the hollow in my tooth let alone my stomach. Can eat one of them and still feel hungry at the end of it. Simarly with 'Wilshire Far Foods' which I had to have in January shortly after discharge from hospital with yet another shiny new metal hip. I have a VERY healthy appetite!!!
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2012, 08:03 PM

Well the Tesco ones I mention are meant for a family so would assume one of those would be sufficient even for someone with your 'appetite'. I have to agree that most individual meals are only fit for toddlers but I have found that supplemented by a bread roll or extra veg and they do for lunch.

I know all about big appetites, have a son who is 6'4" and built like the proverbial out house and who could win gold medals for eating. He can practically inhale his dinner in the time it takes me to add condiments and pick up knife and fork.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2012, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Hi Alison,

Have you tried the Wiltshire Farm Foods, which they deliver to your door? I have heard they are quite nice.

Sue x
Sorry for this late reply Sue but no I haven't tried Wiltshire foods. The trouble is with them you would have to be in to receive them and I wouldn't want to be tied to something like that.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2012, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Well the Tesco ones I mention are meant for a family so would assume one of those would be sufficient even for someone with your 'appetite'. I have to agree that most individual meals are only fit for toddlers but I have found that supplemented by a bread roll or extra veg and they do for lunch.

I know all about big appetites, have a son who is 6'4" and built like the proverbial out house and who could win gold medals for eating. He can practically inhale his dinner in the time it takes me to add condiments and pick up knife and fork.
Des darlin' - your son and I seem to have a lot in common - we both like our food - and lots of it!!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top