Join for free
JMC
norfolk
JMC is female 

12-12-2012, 10:41 AM

Stay fresh veg bags

Has any one tried those green bags that are supposed to keep vegetables fresh for longer? I want to get all my shopping done next week if poss, and avoid the shops Christmas week. I can freeze everything else, but I cannot abide frozen veg.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 12:10 PM

Re: Stay fresh veg bags

Hi Jan I haven't tried them but I do have a cold dark garage and veg keep well in there.

The ones that keep best are the unwashed ones, organic are sometimes unwashed. Once veg are washed they perish easily.

I always buy a sack of 'dirty' potatoes and a net of onions as a start.
You really need a farm shop or a small greengrocer for unwashed veg and may need to order them .
JMC
norfolk
JMC is female 

12-12-2012, 01:56 PM

Hi Meg

Unfortunately I no longer have a garage. I've tried putting them in the shed, but they freeze solid in the winter and are too warm in the summer.The nearest farm shop to me is quite honestly awful! I'll try further afield, - you'd think living in the heart of Norfolk good farm shops would be plentiful!

Jan
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 02:45 PM

i just put things in the bacment its cool down there
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 04:47 PM

I'm having trouble with veg going off quickly, since I had a new 'fridge. My old one had ample drawer space in the bottom for veg..now I have a basket on the kitchen floor - useless.
I'm thinking of keeping it all outside the back door. Just got to find something to put it all in.
I've used the boot of the car at christmas before..
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2012, 03:24 PM

We bought a new Beko fridge/freezer around a year ago which has two huge drawers in the bottom of the fridge part into which can stuff tons of stuff. But here is the thing, according to my son (who works at the well known electrical goods store that did not go to the wall recently) these fridges and fridge/freezers have a compound in the inner walls which somehow stops stuff going off so easily. Tested the theory too and it works, Have had stuff (soft and hard) in that drawer for months and it is still fine. And not only stuff in the drawers, stuff on the shelves seem to last forever also. I am always forgetting what is in there you see and then finding packets of this or that which when opened is still perfectly fine. And this is despite the ubiquitous sell by dates - which are there not for us the consumer, but to help stores with stock control by the way.

He found two yogurts recently which were, according to date stamp, three months out of date, he opened, sniffed, tasted, and scarfed them both down in minutes, said they were fine, and he was also fine afterwards.

Oh and a little tip here, I scrounge a big paper potato sack from market stall holder then purchase several kilos of dirty spuds, transfer them to sack and they last months. The plastic bags make them sweat and rot quickly.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2012, 03:28 PM

Oh and just remembered, we have this little gadget thingy which is like a teeny hoover thing (or as my son calls it, 'the sucky thing') which comes with bags, you place whatever in the bags, suck all the air out and bingo. Keeps all sorts of stuff fresh for ages - even works on crisps and biccies (he had to try didn't he). We got it from Ideal World but not sure if they still do them. It is excellent for those small bits of stuff you want to freeze as it makes a neat flat little parcel.
mari41
Wynyard. Tasmania
mari41 is female  mari41 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2013, 01:14 AM

I use the green plastic bags from the supermarket and they work well. The ones we get come in packs of about 10 and can be reused.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top