Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 05:34 PM

Re: Bananas

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Good idea Mall, I think I'll try that with my shredded wheat.
I need to eat All Bran for obvious reasons it sweetens what is otherwise a dry, boring bowl of cardboard
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I need to eat All Bran for obvious reasons it sweetens what is otherwise a dry, boring bowl of cardboard
Mall darlin' - forget the carpet burgers (AllBran), I find that Nectarines (in season) have the same effect, but are tastier.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 05:41 PM

When I was in the girl guides at the summer camp we used to slice the bananas in half and insert a 1d Cadburys bar of chocolate (remember those) and then wrap them in foil and heat them over the camp fire. Yummy
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 07:19 PM

Bananas in their skin slit open at the top cooked on a BQ then when ready put double cream on top, delicious.
Pink Lady
New Member!
Perth Australia
Pink Lady is female 

01-02-2013, 02:18 PM

I read recently that if you freeze your bananas ( skin on ) You can make a Banana Ice as a substitute for ice cream . Tried it the other day , froze the bananas for a day , then remove the peel , and cut bananas up and place in a blender . Blend , and then put into a container and put back in freezer until ready to dish up spoonfuls into a dish , very refreshing . I am in Summer here though, and it may not be your taste in Winter over there !!
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2013, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pink Lady ->
I read recently that if you freeze your bananas ( skin on ) You can make a Banana Ice as a substitute for ice cream . Tried it the other day , froze the bananas for a day , then remove the peel , and cut bananas up and place in a blender . Blend , and then put into a container and put back in freezer until ready to dish up spoonfuls into a dish , very refreshing . I am in Summer here though, and it may not be your taste in Winter over there !!
http://www.yonanas.com/ This is a gadget which does exactly that, makes 'ice cream' from frozen bananas.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2013, 11:27 PM

I read recently that if you freeze your bananas ( skin on ) You can make a Banana Ice as a substitute for ice cream .
Yep; used to do this for my kids when they were little but peel the banana and chop into smaller pieces immediately before you freeze them makes it much easier. (Put a bit of lemon juice in the freezer bag if you are worried about them going brown). After blending just stick it on an ice cream cone.

One 'recipe' my kids loved was half or quarter bananas wrapped in Pyllo pastry (that asian pastry you buy in sheets so thin you can see through it) then deep fried. Served with ice cream.

Here is a recipe I haven't tried but have on my list of things for my grandson one day:

Fried banana with cinnamon
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2013, 11:54 AM

In the caribbean we discovered that this was a very usual way of making 'ice cream' just freeze the nanas with out the skin in small plastic bags. Freeze them for as long as you like. When you are ready to make your 'ice cream' pop as many nanas into the blender as you want add a little dried milk and water and blitz. This is really good you can add frozen strawberries or a dash of some other flavouring kids love it and there are no additives in this lovely mix.

Another idea we came up with in St Vincent was to grill bananas with brown sugar and rum really nice particularly with a little banana 'ice cream'
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2013, 04:53 PM

I love banana fritters, with just a touch of syrup, yum.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2013, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
I love banana fritters, with just a touch of syrup, yum.
Now you're talking DM, but it has to be Maple syrup!!!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top