Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
fitou143
Essex
fitou143 is male  fitou143 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2013, 09:15 PM

Supermarket wines

Are supermarket wines good value for money ? When you see the pallets stacked up at the end of the rows with the special reduced prices on are they actually any good or did they just get a good deal to ship in a few container loads of cheap bargain wine to sell on in the supermarket. I have had some good ones and some not so good ones. Morrisons is my local they do seem to do a good range I like a nice Red, Merlot or Cabernet. Do you have a supermarket preference?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2013, 09:59 PM

Re: Supermarket wines

I don't pretend to be a wine connoisseur but I pay on average about £4.50 a bottle from Aldi or Lidl and am quite satisfied.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2013, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by fitou143 ->
Are supermarket wines good value for money ?
The two supermarket chains own most of the grog shops here anyway so, unless you buy from the club or pub, you have no choice. However they cannot sell grog in the actual supermarket like they do in the UK but then the UK grog shops don't have cold rooms so their beer is warm.

At least here if you buy a slab of beer you can take it home and drink it straight away without having to wait for it to get cold in the fridge.

On Monday my seniors bus trip will call in at Cobbitty Winery where I will buy a couple of flagons of Tawny Port for $6 each and a bottle of Sweet Sherry for $4 - cheaper than the grog shops ($9 - $12 for a cask of their tawny port). Approx divide by 2 for pounds £.

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2013, 08:15 AM

Bruce matey you need a wedge of Stilton cheese and some cracker biscuits to go with that Port - LUVERLY!!!!
spinner
yorkshire
spinner is female  spinner has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2013, 08:40 PM

My choice of super market wine is completely dictated by price.
It has to be £5 or less.
and mostly it is very good.
But I do avoid French wine (acidic, watery stuff)
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2013, 08:50 PM

Ohhhh Spinner shock horror..... Im drinking a really nice french red right now cost me 2.30e and is very nice . I came here for the wine ... try the minervois area wines I think you will like them
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2013, 08:58 PM

I'm drinking Foscana Pinot Grigio
From Tesco case of six bottles works out at £4.49 a bottle its delicious
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2013, 09:10 PM

I buy supermarket wine for quaffing, making mulled wine, cooking etc..
For drinking with meals, I buy it mail order - mainly Portuguese and Spanish wines (about £6-£8 a bottle). I usually buy port mail order - can be expensive for something decent.

When I lived in Hampshire, I drank a lot of English wine which I bought directly from the vineyards.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2013, 09:11 PM

As it's snowing and if I went out I'd go to the pub I'm staying home. I'm listening to CDs with a bottle of Ogio Primitivo, an Italian red from Tesco.
About the same price as Ripple but they said it was half price. I always seem to buy this wine half price.
spinner
yorkshire
spinner is female  spinner has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2013, 09:31 PM

I am very impressed that you all remember the name of what you are drinking!
I think I'm drinking a rioja, it had a cork! (which is unusual now, sadly)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top