Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2013, 08:10 AM

Re: Scones

Recipes are pretty standard, try using stale or even sour milk to mix, this has an extra raising agent in it. I wonder if you have been a little heavy handed, don't overwork the mixture.

Don't they smell wonderful?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2013, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Surfer ->
Just a little tip ...........when cutting them out with a round cutter just use a straight up and down motion ,if you twist the cutter it seals the edges and stops them rising up as much .A simple tip but it works .
Oh blast - I do that as well! On a positive note: the military (or Uncle Joe for his tank) might be interested in my scones
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
My youngest son is a chef and he gave me this recipe years ago, using lemonade.

300g (2 cups) self-raising flour, sifted
55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
125ml (1/2 cup) thick cream
125ml (1/2 cup) lemonade
40ml (2 tbs) milk
1/2 teaspoon salt

Place the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add cream and lemonade and mix to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured workbench and knead lightly until combined. Press the dough with your hands to a thickness of about 2cm. Use a 6cm round cutter to cut out 8 scones, place on baking tray and brush the tops with milk. Bake for 10-15m
Lemonade! Who would have thought that but I shall give that one a try too - my son loves scones with Jam. Many thanks jaywalker
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

19-02-2013, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Myth and Magic ->
Recipes are pretty standard, try using stale or even sour milk to mix, this has an extra raising agent in it. I wonder if you have been a little heavy handed, don't overwork the mixture.

Don't they smell wonderful?
Well, Myth - it appears that I have been battering the poor scones to death. I shall try the light and gentle approach next time and hope it works
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Surfer ->
Just a little tip ...........when cutting them out with a round cutter just use a straight up and down motion ,if you twist the cutter it seals the edges and stops them rising up as much .A simple tip but it works .
As a cook of many years I had never thought of this. Thank you for that tip it makes so much sense Silver.

This is a Hairy Bikers recipe, I love the bikers and the recipe is old fashioned and excellent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cheesescones_1287
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2013, 06:40 PM

I have been using the following recipe for 40 years, they always come out light, fluffy and delicious (even though I says it myself) BUT and 'tis a big but, like all scones they are really only good for one, maybe two days, after which they deteriorate.

8 oz s.r. flour
1lvl tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1.5 oz block margarine
1.5 oz castor sugar
2 oz.sultanas (or currants or raisins choice is yours)
1/4 pt milk

Trick is in the mixing.

I blitz first four ingredients for a few seconds in blender until like breadcrumbs, then stir in fruit and sugar, and slowly add milk stirring with a flat bladed knife until you have a 'slightly wet' dough. Tip onto lightly floured board and gently shape with palms into a rounded flattened shape, cut into rounds/squares, and place gently onto a preheated and floured - not greased - baking tray, brush lightly with milk and place in hot (450F or gas 8) oven near top for ten mins. remove to wire rack to cool slightly, split and serve with butter jam and if possible clotted cream.

NOTE unlike pastries etc there is no need to knead! barely touching is the key.

Enjoy.

On the few occasions have made cheese scones have simply substituted grated cheese for the fruit and added some grated cheese sprinkled on the top.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2013, 08:42 AM

Alright, alright, alright, all those now making scones, there's a forum tax (I'm the chief tax collector) and we want samples of every batch!!!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

20-02-2013, 11:36 AM

Many thanks Daisy - I shall try that one as well.

Uncle Joe - when I've had time to make them, I shall turn up on this forum with a scone for everyone (and I do mean one betwen you all - I'm a bit greedy with scones )
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Many thanks Daisy - I shall try that one as well.

Uncle Joe - when I've had time to make them, I shall turn up on this forum with a scone for everyone (and I do mean one betwen you all - I'm a bit greedy with scones )

Karen darlin' - VAT alone is 20%.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

20-02-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Karen darlin' - VAT alone is 20%.
Oh no! Does that mean you all have to share only 80% of a scone. Rotten government policies ......

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top