Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2013, 12:09 PM

Re: The Healthy Option?

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Me neither - I don't like burgers for some reason, never have and I'm really fussy about how chicken is cooked as well and I don't really like breadcrumbs on things. This is what comes from having a mother who was a chef! You think I'd have inherited some of her skills wouldn't you - but no, I'm like my Dad and really good at DIY instead ...
Karen darlin' - Dragon taught me to cook when I was about 14 or 15 so that he & George could go away on holiday (very 'uncool' for a teenage boy to be away on holiday with his parents!!!). I house- sat instead, but swore no way would I eat out of packets and tins.
spinner
yorkshire
spinner is female  spinner has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2013, 02:56 PM

It does save on the washing up, though

(eating out of packets and tins, that is)
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2013, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by spinner ->
It does save on the washing up, though

(eating out of packets and tins, that is)
No darlin' - because it has to be emptied out into pots and dishes to cook and then served onto dinner plates. Besides which, there tends to be insufficient in one tin or packet alone to satisfy my hunger (I have a VERY healthy appetite) as 'our' Hazel will confirm.
spinner
yorkshire
spinner is female  spinner has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2013, 08:05 PM

Now I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I have known people who could eat cold baked beans out of the tin, (followed by cold rice pudding out of the tin.)
No washing up! (apart from the spoon)((and the tin opener maybe))

Also pot noodle....add hot water, wait, unhealthy option yes, but no washing up!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

10-03-2013, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by spinner ->
Now I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I have known people who could eat cold baked beans out of the tin, (followed by cold rice pudding out of the tin.)
No washing up! (apart from the spoon)((and the tin opener maybe))

Also pot noodle....add hot water, wait, unhealthy option yes, but no washing up!

Urrrrgh yuk!!! - I detest rice pudding (I don't drink milk!!!) and your other suggestion are disgusting!!! My stomach is my temple, I worship it three times a day and wouldn't dream of eating out of packets and tins. I have NEVER, eaten a pot noodle and have no intention of ever doing so.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2013, 10:12 PM

My niece is away at university and apparently eating ravioli and such from tins in her room rather than walk to the shared kitchen and cook something.

Has anyone seen this website before? Have to admit I might try a wee bite of some of those creations.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

11-03-2013, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
My niece is away at university and apparently eating ravioli and such from tins in her room rather than walk to the shared kitchen and cook something.

Has anyone seen this website before? Have to admit I might try a wee bite of some of those creations.
Yes Sue darlin' - one or two of those 'sweets' look interesting, but I don't fancy any of the Tacos, chips or Pizzas - ergh yuk!!! - I bought a large Ostrich steak from my butcher on Saturday - will marinade and cook that in my slow cooker as a casserole with lots of carrots, parsnips, onions, celeriac, potatoes and leeks - delicious!!!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Have never been inside a McDonalds and wouldn't do so, since they don't provide knives, forks or plates - philistines!!!
I was upset with them when they stopped letting you buy 30c ice cream and claiming the free seniors coffee (I threw the ice cream away). I suppose I knew it wouldn't last.

Not very enamoured with their food so rarely go but occasionally will if there is nothing else available when I am travelling.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes Sue darlin' - one or two of those 'sweets' look interesting, but I don't fancy any of the Tacos, chips or Pizzas - ergh yuk!!! - I bought a large Ostrich steak from my butcher on Saturday - will marinade and cook that in my slow cooker as a casserole with lots of carrots, parsnips, onions, celeriac, potatoes and leeks - delicious!!!
There are emu farms around here but I've never seen ostrich meat for sale. Sounds interesting though.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

12-03-2013, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
There are emu farms around here but I've never seen ostrich meat for sale. Sounds interesting though.
Sue darlin' - I would imagine there's not too much difference in the meat between Emu and Ostrich. If you want to try some - go ahead, its very healthy - there's little or no fat on the meat whatsoever. What I do is chop the meat into bite sized chunks, place in a bowl and soak in a marinade of equal portions of: Balsamic vinegar, Worcester sauce and Soy sauce. When ready to cook, strain from marinade (reserve the marinade for the gravy later) place in another bowl and add 1Tblsp of plain flour. Toss in the flour so that the meat is covered in the flour. Flash fry in large pan with an onion and garlic. After 4 - 5 minutes lift out with slotted spoon and place in casserole dish (slow cooker is even better) Peel and chop appropriate (root) vegetables and some mushrooms and add to frying pan for a few minutes. In meantime add a stock cube and gravy browning (Oxo and Bisto) to Marinade and stir until fully dissolved. Add to frying pan and bring to boil. Gravy will thicken due to the flour. As it thickens, remove from heat and add the contents of the pan to the casserole dish and cook in oven for approx 1 hour at 190 o C (in slow cooker this will take approx 3 hours).

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top