Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 06:59 PM

Impatient visitors

I feel this should have its own thread, rather than go in ‘what annoys you’.

I installed a Ring doorbell a few months ago, but left the redundant one up.

When I have people calling round, specifically the lady who lived here before, and some tradespeople, they press the Ring button. I can hear the chime, and the phone app. So I move from where I am at the current time (usually kitchen or bathroom, at the back of the house). And because I’ve not answered the door within 10 seconds (while I hunt for the door keys), they press the old doorbell. By this time I have an excitable dog to control, and I work out whether to shut her behind the inner door, pick her up, or put on the leash. By this time the visitor has again pressed the Ring button. This prompts me to shout out (none too politely) ‘alright alright alright!’

So now I have to dash to the door before they press one of the bells again, and shout through the door ‘hang on, let me get the keys,’

Even my sister has been known to press twice.

(The electrician did it to me yesterday, and the previous owner did it today, when collecting post.)
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 07:38 PM

Re: Impatient visitors

Jazzi, l thought it was only the postman that rang twice?

I suppose your visitors think you didn’t hear the bell so keep ringing it?
Could you tape over one of the bells?
I used to automatically pick my little poodle up to answer the door when my bell rang.
He also hid the fact that l never wear a bra when l’m in the house!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 07:43 PM

Hi Jazzi one of the perils of living alone i'm afraid . I wish people would consider if people live alone they may not be able to get to the door quickly.
I would certainly block off the 'dead' bell or unscrew it. .

I have a bell which people seem not to use, they bang on the glass front door instead .

If I am upstairs and someone bangs or rings I go to the bedroom window and speak to them not wishing to risk rushing down the stairs and breaking my neck.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 08:58 PM

That made me laugh, Jazzi, because it's a bit like that here.
But with several dogs going mad at whoever's ringing the damn doorbell, I can't pick them all up!

I suppose if they didn't bark, we'd complain and say they weren't doing their job, so they can't win really.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 09:05 PM

Someone's knocking at the door,Somebody's ringing the bell,

Hey You may have won the Neighbourhood lottery
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 09:07 PM

I will unplug the unwanted bell but they could still press the Ring again. I just wish they’d give us time to get to the door, is all.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

04-05-2021, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Someone's knocking at the door,Somebody's ringing the bell,

Hey You may have won the Neighbourhood lottery
Don’t play it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 09:11 PM

I don't encourage people to come to our house, the pan of water usually upsets them.....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

04-05-2021, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't encourage people to come to our house, the pan of water usually upsets them.....
Do you mean the vat of boiling oil?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 10:48 PM

Time is Money.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top