Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mlee
CA USA
Mlee is female  Mlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2012, 08:31 PM

Re: . . . . shire The Bradshaw Clan in England

Thank you Jimmy and Mollie, Cheshire it is and Northumberland and Lancoshire. (LanCOshire?).
Guess that's why mom has the Irish and also Scottish blood running through her veins. LOL.
Thanks for all the help.

I will go back to the ancestry search sometime soon.
At present, I have 5 generations alive.
Got as much data as I could from mom and her first cousin.
Wish I had started so much sooner in life of this search. . . when my grandmother was alive.

Kids just are not into their heritage until later on in life.
My kids find the stuff interesting that I have found but they are too busy to do any of it theirselves.
LET MOM DO IT. . . I have sent them files, they probably have put them up some place and don't know where they are.
It'll bite them in the butt one day when they do get interested and I'm no longer on the planet. "So there," I'll say.
Mlee
CA USA
Mlee is female  Mlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2012, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
There is no Chestershire, it's Cheshire. There's also Buckinghamshire .... well, it'd take too long so here's a map of the shire counties of England. I hope this will help.

http://www.itraveluk.co.uk/maps/england/

Thank you for the map Mollie.
I downloaded the page and stuck it in my ancestor file and also downloaded the picture along with the pages.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2012, 08:43 PM

There are lots of places ending in shire. Shire means a division of land, it come from Anglo Saxon times.
I have done a lot of ancestor research in the past.

Latter day saints family search is a good site, and it free.
Ancestry.co.uk is good, but you have to pay.
Scotlands people.uk is good, but you have to pay.

It's Lancashire Mlee. As Mollie would say we are both Lancashire lassie.
Mlee
CA USA

06-04-2012, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by shaz ->
There are lots of places ending in shire. Shire means a division of land, it come from Anglo Saxon times.

Shaz, hello. . .

I did volunteer work for FamilySearch.com for about a year.
Then my eyes got so bad trying to decipher all the handwriting. I had to quit. It was an amazing job. I was always thrilled while I was doing it. Especially the ones for England.
I learned so much. About the handwriting and how it changed through the years etc.. (in England) Love it, just love it.

Family Search still sends me updates about what they have added. I want to do it so much but am afraid that I will lose my eye sight.

A lot of the handwriting are mostly scribbles. Especially ships logs. You can magnify the handwriting but trying to make out what it is, is terrible. I would stick to it as I am not usually a person that gives up. And I love puzzles.

They have census from all over the world now.
And a lot of names were so very long (original names before Spain came in to rule).

I doubt that a lot of the census were taken by anyone that went to school. (the ones here in the U. S.).

Then the census takers sometimes didn't care if you can see the writing at all. It was so lightly writen.
Of course, there were some really well written which I always prayed I would receive to work on.

I am making myself want to go back to it right now!! Ha, ha.
Too funny.

On one of the Hawaiian census's, I came across a . . . . . . .
I'll whisper it. . . a house of ill repute. LOL
Too cute!
Mlee
CA USA

06-04-2012, 09:58 PM

Sorry, forgot to add about Ancestry.com
Ya gotta pay through the nose there too!

Not really upset about it. It's really not that much. They have different prices for the different things you would want, but it does add up. . . like shopping at the grocery store while you're hungry.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2012, 10:05 PM

Sounds like you know what you are doing Mlee, you could probably teach me a few thing.
Mlee
CA USA

06-04-2012, 10:49 PM

Sounds like you know what you are doing Mlee, you could probably teach me a few thing.
Nah. . .I doubt it.
I am one of those "Jack of all trades and master of none."

Wish there was at least one thing I really know how to do well.
Thank you for being so sweet though.

I really am seriously thinking about going back to Family Search to work. I almost pushed the log out button and decided to take some more looking around.

By the way.
Family Search is kinda in 'cahoots,' with Ancestor.com.
They can pick up the work we did.
And sell it !

They (FamilySearch) would not reply when I asked about it. So I just kept going on my merry way doing my work.
I used to make calls to the Family Search HQ in Salt Lake, Utah, USA and talk to any one of the sisters when I had questions.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 08:37 PM

I do some transcribing for LANOPC.(Lancashire Online Parish Clerk) Have been doing it for about 5 years now. Its fascinating stuff. I do mainly Liverpool & also mentor the newbies who want to do Liverpool. I've done probably tens of thousands of records now - I wish I had kept count
Some of the writing is horrendous especially the witness signitures on Marriage records where they were nearly illiterate.
I love doing it though
shaz
Manchester, lancs

07-04-2012, 09:01 PM

Ones that was signed with a cross, must have been easy Lynne.
Mlee
CA USA

07-04-2012, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->
I do some transcribing for LANOPC.(Lancashire Online Parish Clerk) Have been doing it for about 5 years now. Its fascinating stuff. I do mainly Liverpool & also mentor the newbies who want to do Liverpool. I've done probably tens of thousands of records now - I wish I had kept count
Some of the writing is horrendous especially the witness signitures on Marriage records where they were nearly illiterate.
I love doing it though
Hi Lynne55. . .
It's addicting isn't it? The good addiction.
I did join last night. I was one of the arbitrators when I left and I was gone so long that I have to start all over. But that's A-okay.
On Family Search, they keep the points for you. Points are each batch you do. When you submit, your data is on the right side of the page where you download more.

I find the ships logs were pretty much hard to read.
I was really upset when there was not more to do on the England area. I did see last night that there are a whole lot now. I'm excited about that. But at this time, I'm working on the California batches. I want to see if any of my people are in it.
The England batches had sent me to study the English handwriting from centuries back up to the 1800's I think it was. Facinating.
Yes. . . I remember the marriage batches. You're right on that! And you have to look all over to see if the name is spelt correctly. LOL

I had a talk with one of the Sisters of the church. She wanted to know why I was so fussy.

I told her that my mother's name on her birth record is spelt Beverley, not Beverly. So many people do not have the same spelling of their names as another does. Especially these days.

With the last names, when the program does not want to accept the spelling that is on the certificate, I go on the web and try to find out if there are in fact surnames with that spelling. And usually there are.

Okay. . . I just wrote you a book, lol, sorry.
I could just go on and on.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top