Join for free
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2010, 02:39 PM

Dogs

Not quite enough to post on `Dogsey`but today I met two Dobermans. One dog and one bitch-not partners just around where I was.

They had tails. I have never seen that before but it was an open day for an exotic pet refuge so I guess their owners gave not a toss for `convention`

I had never cuddled a Doberman with a tail before-

Is `docking` a thing of the past? I hope so
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2010, 02:46 PM

Re: Dogs

How nice to see the two Dobermans with their tails intact, OG ....... I personally think docking an animal's tail is cruel but not sure if it's illegal in the UK now.

Moli's boxer, Maggie, has her tail intact and she is the first boxer I've ever seen with a tail.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2010, 04:03 PM

Yes it is now banned

Except for some working dogs or for health reasons.

Dobes are lovely - we had one when I was growing up you should have taken a pic!
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2010, 05:29 PM

Yes, I`ve met a few - and Boxers. There`s no excuse for chopping bits off. I wish my Shorthaired Pointer had a tail but gundogs were exempt.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2010, 07:10 PM

I have my own black Lab now for years and he's coming to the end of the line, I'll miss him badly. In general I don't know a lot about Dogs and always wondered why the used to cut off their tails. I remember some fella saying he knew a Man who would bite the tail off for a few bob, could that be true?.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2010, 07:22 PM

I think it a good thing now not to dock their tails but I think if it is a working dog, then the owner can have it docked - for the safety of the dog. A couple I know who live nearby had a visit from the SSPCA because their Rotties tails have been docked and both dogs are not over the cut-off age when the law came to force! Not sure what happened but I think they were fined!

I haven't seen any boxer dogs with tails yet up here! Another chap across the way from me has two Rotties, the male has his tail docked, which was done before the law came into force, the female has her tail - it does look strange. The male dog is OK but I am not fussed about the female - too bad tempered!
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 02:30 PM

As Azz said unless for one of those reasons dogs should all have thier tails now and its illegal to dock otherwise.
I really hate docking and think its cruel. My poor Rottie x GSD had her tail cut off by some awful nasty person with a pair of scissors, much too short too.
I wish she had a tail to wag at me.
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 04:52 PM

In a shooting/working gundog area, its a sensitive subject.
It is still thought that breeds such as springers are at risk from tail damage if they are left totally undocked. My old springer had what was referred to as a working dock, just the vulnerable final couple of inches removed.

Now though we have a dear little cocker - non working - and therefore with a fully waggable and thrashing tail. Much healthier and happier spine as a result.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2010, 06:51 PM

Some of the previously docked breeds have strange tails, they didn't have to worry so much about the set. When the ban first came in they didn't know what to do with the tails (in the show ring) they did allsorts to try to hide them!

I wasn't for or against docking, I had an afghan who broke his tail by wagging it when walking through a doorway so had firsthand experience of tail damage. Some breeds suffer painful injuries that are difficult to heal and end up having the tails docked for medical reasons, much more traumatic to the dog then.

My breed normally have their dewclaws removed, that is still legal. It has to be done soon after birth before the nervous system kicks in. I had my first litters dewclaws removed but didn't feel happy about it afterwards so Pip and Yandi still have theirs! It is illegal on the continent.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2010, 10:10 PM

I have had a Boxer without a tail, now have one with her tail, and must say I prefer her with it...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top