Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 10:30 AM

Elder care

My husband and I have made it quite clear to our children that when the time comes for us to need care we will go into a home. We would not expect them to look after us. However, well you get on with your kids, and we get on very well with ours, looking after elderly parents in your own home is likely to put a strain on relationships, especially when you are not in the first flush of youth yourselves. Well that is the way we see it, I know others will view it differently. My father, now dead, booked himself into a nursing home when he realised he was terminally ill in 2005, less hassle than having my mother giving him earache! Our mother (86) still lives in her own apartment, cares for herself, and even still drives (God help us!). My youngest sibling has a watching brief and power of attorney. When the time comes, a nursing home will take the considerable strain of caring for her, although to be honest we hope death intervenes before that is necessary for all concerned, including our mother. That might seem a shocking think to say, but 10 minutes in her company and sadly even a saint would feel like murder! I should add my mother is well provided for and can afford the best of care homes.

When your time comes would you wish your children to care for you, or will you go into a home?
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 12:06 PM

Re: Elder care

No I don`t want to go into a home. I get infuriated when patronised and old people (like me) bore me rigid.
I looked after my children when they were young. Why shouldn`t they look after me if necessary?
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
No I don`t want to go into a home. I get infuriated when patronised and old people (like me) bore me rigid.
I looked after my children when they were young. Why shouldn`t they look after me if necessary?
Your children didn't ask to be born to you! I don't think one has the same obligation to one's parents as one has to one's children.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 12:51 PM

Did say to my Daughter that if I ever go dodally have me killed.

She replied "Sod off aint going to prison over you"

Thing is would rather die then get into a state that I would have to go into a home.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 01:05 PM

My two agreed long ago to push me into Poole Quay.
Seriously though, I would not allow my children to look after me full time, just the odd bit of shopping and what have you. If things got too bad then I would have to go into a home I suppose. I wouldn't like it but would prefer that than for my children to care for me, they have enough on their plates as it is.
Dancingsky
None

06-09-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
My two agreed long ago to push me into Poole Quay.
Seriously though, I would not allow my children to look after me full time, just the odd bit of shopping and what have you. If things got too bad then I would have to go into a home I suppose. I wouldn't like it but would prefer that than for my children to care for me, they have enough on their plates as it is.
My kids will put me in a wheelchair, with the brake off, at the top of a cliff in a force 10 gale when I go more bonkers than I am now!
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 03:16 PM

Good job we know our kids love us then eh Qitta?
Dancingsky
None

06-09-2010, 03:29 PM

Good job we know our kids love us then eh Qitta?
Oh I think mine are serious!
maryl
UK

06-09-2010, 03:38 PM

Then you'd better keep as sane as you can
Dancingsky
None

06-09-2010, 03:41 PM

Then you'd better keep as sane as you can
TOO LATE!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top