Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 08:38 PM

Re: Things for BEST!

Like Brandykins, I also use everything......I have nothing that I class as 'best'.........
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 09:40 PM

I must admit I tend to "save" stuff for "best" but then it gets forgotten about or the kids laugh at it because it has become unfashionable and out of date. This goes for clothes as well because I tend to live in tee-shirts and trousers.

So like qetta I have resolved to get rid and not be cluttered up. We also are likely to downsize in the future and so it might as well go now rather than later. I feel quite positive and firm about it until I start and then I know I will get sentimental and most of it will probably end up back in the cupboards - but at least the cupboards will then be tidy and I will know what I have to get rid of another day.
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 09:46 PM

Approximately every six months a friend of mine will sort through things, and if she comes across a box that as remained un-opened for those six months - she chucks it - WITHOUT opening it!!!

I have said; "Aren't you curious"?
"Nope", she replies, "If, I have done without it for six months, I clearly do not want it, and besides peeking will just tempt me to keep whatever"!!!!

Rainbow
jj'sgirl
Kent UK
jj'sgirl is female  jj'sgirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 09:46 PM

No I don't have anything that I just use for special occasions but spare a thought for me and my siblings as we clear out my mums house as she has gone into a care home and the 54years worth of things kept for special occasions.....
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 09:59 PM

Not an easy task for you and your family.
Does the Care Home allow the resident to bring personal items with them? A few special belongings will hopefully help her feel more comfortable.

Rainbow
jj'sgirl
Kent UK
jj'sgirl is female  jj'sgirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 10:04 PM

Yes they do...

It's been a hard one because at first she thought that she was only going for a couple of weeks so refused to take anything personal but I have been taking a little something from her home everytime I go in...

It will soon look homely in fact we took her out for a while on Sunday and when we got back to her room she looked at the photos that I had put on her window sill smiled and said 'Oh good there they all are'...... so hopefully it's beginning to look homely already for her
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 10:06 PM

I have some clothes put aside for when I want to make that extra special effort - but apart from that.. no
Rainbow
Surrey UK

06-09-2010, 10:27 PM

JJ'sgirl, That sounds lovely, and obviously gave familiarity and comfort to your Mum.

Azz, yes, it does help to have something different (when needed) but still feel it is not merely keeping the wardrobe looking smart! Not easy is it, to use but still pull something nice out of the hat?!!

Rainbow

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top