Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 02:42 PM

Do/Did you Get Along with IN-LAWS?

Do or did you have a good relationship with your in-laws?

Or quite the opposite!

If you started off shaky, did they improve?

Regards,
Rainbow
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 03:28 PM

Re: Do/Did you Get Along with IN-LAWS?

The short answer is NO. I didn't get on with my in-laws. they were old enough to be my grandparents, in fact f-i-l was only three years younger than my paternal grandmother, and six years younger than my maternal one. They were miserable in every respect. They were very religious and even though I had unfortunately been brought up in a Christian fundamentalist environment, it was more lighthearted in many respects than my in-law's home. My husband, who had been devout in his younger years, lost his faith and is a convinced atheist. I am sure they blamed me, although actually it was my husband's academic studies (he has four degrees) that lead him to the conclusion there is no deity. I don't think we have a single photo of my in-laws with our children, all they were interested in was the state of their souls and their bowels! My husband was treated like the black sheep and f-i-l would send him some horrible letters signed Your father and his full name! When they died my husband was relieved and so was I.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 03:49 PM

I love all my in-laws with my first husband, they took me into their family as one of their own and even though he passed away after we divorced we still see each other regularly. His Mum was more of a mother to me than my own. The in-laws with my second husband are very nice too, we get along great. It's my own brothers, their wives and my own parents (now gone) I will have nothing to do with. It's a strange life.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 04:01 PM

I got on well with my inlaws until my M-I-L passed away, after knowing her only 3 years. My F-I-L then withdrew into himself and I found it difficult to talk to him. He passed away 10 years ago.

I like to think I get on well as a M-I-L ...... my S-I-L and I can have a joke together and are very easy going.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 04:17 PM

My in-laws are super! Some of the nicest people I have ever met!
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I got on well with my inlaws until my M-I-L passed away, after knowing her only 3 years. My F-I-L then withdrew into himself and I found it difficult to talk to him. He passed away 10 years ago.

I like to think I get on well as a M-I-L ...... my S-I-L and I can have a joke together and are very easy going.
We get on well with our two sons-in-law. The older one is very touchy feely and always envelopes us in a HUGE hug on arrival. My husband has got used to it now, but found it hard going at first. He isn't one to hug other blokes including our son.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 05:34 PM

My FIL was too ill to meet me so who knows?

My MIL thought I was a common little upstart who should be shot rather than marrying her daughter.

My father thought Jenny was a neurotic spoilt brat.

Only mum had the sense to say when she met Jenny

"all I wish is for you two to be happy"
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 05:37 PM

Sounds like a good general start to Happy Families!!!

What a relief your Mum was more welcoming!

Rainbow
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 08:07 PM

Don't have any - so never had that problem! I always had a guid pair o' " saunies" to run for my life when any boyfriends I had got serious!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Brandykins ->
Don't have any - so never had that problem! I always had a guid pair o' " saunies" to run for my life when any boyfriends I had got serious!
Just like you Brandykins- I haven't got any, so no problems here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top