Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 04:13 PM

First day at school!

My fourth grandson (4) had his first day at school today. Unlike his brother (nearly 7) who took school all in his stride, he hasn't been looking forward to it one little bit! Anyway he has just phoned me to let me know how he got on. I asked what he had done and his response made me laugh, "I wiped my own bottom!" When asked what else he had done, "I went for a wee!" Obviously he had got his priorites right! We think he had been worrying about doing it right as it has been a bit of an issue, but having got that sorted he enjoyed himself.
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 04:21 PM

Re: First day at school!

Glad to hear that his worries have been washed away!

Seriously, it is sad when little ones cannot express their worries or concerns. Just a little unhappy depressed child. Makes you feel so helpless, but hopefully find a way to discover the problem.

Obviously this little guy has explained his previous concerns, and now no stopping his enjoyment of school and making friends.

Regards,
Rainbow
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rainbow ->
Glad to hear that his worries have been washed away!

Seriously, it is sad when little ones cannot express their worries or concerns. Just a little unhappy depressed child. Makes you feel so helpless, but hopefully find a way to discover the problem.

Obviously this little guy has explained his previous concerns, and now no stopping his enjoyment of school and making friends.

Regards,
Rainbow
Well we knew it was an issue, but he refused to attend to himself at home. He had been told the teacher wouldn't do it for him, so now he has broken his duck he can get on with learning.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 05:05 PM

Oh bless!!-we forget how important those things were
Dancingsky
None

06-09-2010, 05:09 PM

I remember when my youngest daughter was at school having a chat with the no nonsense deputy head, she had just had a run in with a mother who expected the class teacher to wipe her seven-year-old son's bottom!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 05:13 PM

I remember my cousin asking me to wipe her bottom-I ran to fetch Auntie June(now departed). How time flies -Joy,my cousin is about to become a grandmother
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 10:35 PM

Getting the toilet stuff right is very important when you first go to school. I am embarrassed to say this, but when I was first at school and needed to go - I did the necessary and then stayed in the cubicle until home time. I spent the time shouting through the toilet door for paper, but nobody came and nobody missed me, so I just stayed there until my mum came to fetch me at home time. Sad little girl I was
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 10:40 PM

What an awful experience for you.

But scary that the teachers did not realise that a little girl was missing!!!

Rainbow
Dancingsky
None

07-09-2010, 08:31 AM

School is a doddle these days to what it was when I first started in 1954, aged four. My elementary school took kids 4-14, the school day was 9am-4pm The regime was brutal, and beatings with a stick, not a cane, were frequent and without mercy. The head teacher beat one kid unconscious, but got away with it because the child came from a family considered of no account. One particular family of children smelled awful as they were unwashed, we were made to sit next to them as a punishment. We used slates to write on, these were roofing slates! There were no schools for children with learning difficulties in those far off days, they were just kept in the baby class until they left school at 14, too severe and they didn't attend school at all. Sitting next to a 14 year old as a 4 years old is quite frightening! I was badly bullied at school by other kids as I was better dressed and had a better standard of living than many of them. In those days bullying was part and parcel of school life, and I didn't get a sympathetic hearing from my father in particular, just hit them harder than they hit you was the advice! I moved onto a girl's fee paying school at 11, but still hated school and was pleased to leave at 17, I married two years later and moved to the UK.

My grandchildren are fortunate to attend lovely schools!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Oh dear qetta, your experience of school does sound rough, brutal even. Things were not as bad as that when I first went to school, but we went in fear of some of the teachers and it was very much speak when you are spoken to - very inhibiting, its a wonder we learnt anything. At the end of assembly each morning the head said to everyone "now take out your hankey and blow your nose" and we all collectively had a good nose blow. Those who had no hankey ended up blowing their nose on their skirt or jumper - very nice.

I am sure everyone will have stories of their school days (good and bad) - do you want to start a thread qetta ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top