Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
buttercup
Wiltshire
buttercup is female  buttercup has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Looking up symptoms on the web

Does anyone have the awful habit of looking up symptoms onthe web and then frightening themselves to death. I try not to do it but can't resist sometimes - must stop doing it.
Not a hypochondriac but am sure I have something
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 07:29 PM

Re: Looking up symptoms on the web

Originally Posted by buttercup ->
Does anyone have the awful habit of looking up symptoms onthe web and then frightening themselves to death. I try not to do it but can't resist sometimes - must stop doing it.
Not a hypochondriac but am sure I have something

Yes I am a terrible hypochondriac, inherited the condition from my father and his mother before him. Every ache and pain is something terrible in my imagination!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 08:10 PM

I never do that - a little knowledge is too much knowledge!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 08:47 PM

I do it frequently, but mainly to learn more about something. When I faced ny first cataract surgery I was terrified; had never had surgery or anaesthetic. Reading about exactly what the surgery was like, what to expect, what other patients reported, etc. calmed me very much. The same with my osteoarthritis. Have learned about different medications that have helped very much; mine is mostly in remission. Knowledge is power; you fear less when you understand. I think it's a Godsend, would not be without the ability to research things on the Web.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 09:39 PM

Always look symptoms up on the web. Find it very interesting. When the Hatti girl wasn't well recently, always got a print out from the Vet, then looked everything up on web. I find it easier to digest the information when I can take my time reading about it. They do say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but I'd rather have that knowledge and know all the ins and outs..........
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 10:15 PM

I think with the doctors these days, we have little other choice but to research what 'could' be wrong with us!

As with everything on the web tho, you must look at the sources and weight things up - there is a lot of nonsense around these days
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 10:16 PM

Oh good point, merz! I actually look up more things for the cats on line than I do for myself!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Oh good point, merz! I actually look up more things for the cats on line than I do for myself!
Something else we have in common 'sis'
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

06-09-2010, 10:23 PM

Uncanny, isn't it?
mysterie
Sydney, Australia
mysterie is female  mysterie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2010, 05:05 PM

I only look up rashes and that is only so I won't go outside if it seems I may have a contagious ailment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top