Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2017, 09:08 PM

Re: River God

SIGH Oh, my. Tiata DID NOT leap to anyone's rescue during the Hippo hunt. He stayed on the boat and WATCHED while young Tanus finished off the beast with his sword.
I've said, over and over again, Tiata was no warrior. At no point in the story did he defeat anyone in hand-to-hand combat. Tiata was many things: intelligent, compassionate, kind, loving, loyal, trustworthy, educated, extremely talented --- but a strong warrior ? Never !

Perhaps, in the passage of time, you have fused the characters of Tiata, the slightly built slave, and young Tanus who was indeed a mighty warrior.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2017, 09:36 PM

Muddy said
I agree most of his heroes are horribly arrogant too.
River God is not as bad as the insufferable Courtney sagas but the hero does and knows everything !

I wonder if the heros are reflections of what the author might like to be (Wilbur Smith doesn't sound like the sort of character i would like to meet if his comments re his own children are anything to go by )

Similarly Dick Francis also good writer but his heros are all the same tall, fit clever cool dark and handsome.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bakerman replies

I fail to understand why some people become so upset with a book(s) in which the hero is "horribly arrogant" or "Tall, fit, clever, cool, dark and handsome". And, moreover, the following quote from one of our posters leaves me speechless.
River God is not as bad as the insufferable Courtney sagas but the hero does and knows everything. "
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 01:49 AM

So you 'fail to understand it' people have different opinions what is there not to understand?
bakerman
Mexico

26-09-2017, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
So you 'fail to understand it' people have different opinions what is there not to understand?
Bakerman replies
Having a different opinion is quite understandable. Deliberately going out of one's way to belittle is another matter entirely. Moreover, to have the gall to critique a book about which one has a very poor knowledge is ridiculous and demonstrates poor judgement.

Now, a badly misinformed poster recently stated that Tiata was a "strong fighter" and a "warrior" and when I attempted to demonstrate how wrong that was, the poster replied, Perhaps you have forgotten how Tiata came to the rescue of his young charges during the hippo hunt.

I now go to my library and locate "River God". Page 18, Quote: " I am a strong swimmer, and although in retrospect such foolhardiness makes me shudder, I truly believe that I MIGHT have dived over the side and swum down through those blood-dyed waters in an attempt to rescue my mistress. However as I poised at the ship's rail, the waters directly below me opened and two heads bobbed out, both of them streaming water and as close as a pair of mating otters." Unquote

I could easily be defeated on many topics, but the writings of Wilbur Smith is NOT one of them. I own a copy of every book Wilbur Smith has written, and some of them I have re-read 6 or more times just from the pure joy of reading a master at work.

What started out as a post on how much I love Mr. Smith's writing's, in which I wished only to share that joy, has become an unpleasant experience due to the nasty remarks of a few people. Not cool. Not cool at all.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 08:49 AM

You have to accept that other people have opinions which may or may not be correct it's a book for goodness sake a work of fiction not the end of the world !
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Bakerman replies

I could easily be defeated on many topics, but the writings of Wilbur Smith is NOT one of them. I own a copy of every book Wilbur Smith has written, and some of them I have re-read 6 or more times just from the pure joy of reading a master at work.

What started out as a post on how much I love Mr. Smith's writing's, in which I wished only to share that joy, has become an unpleasant experience due to the nasty remarks of a few people. Not cool. Not cool at all.
I too have read and kept every book Wilbur Smith has written and like you I have re-read most of them several times, apart from the last couple of books, which seem to have fallen off in quality a bit (wonder if he has a ghost writer these days - he is quite elderly now).
IMO Wilbur Smith has written some rip roaring fictionover the years, which is appreciated world-wise.
Just enjoy his writings for the pleasure his stories have given you bakerman - ignore everything else. You don't have to persuade anyone - why try anyway. Nobody can take away the pleasure you have had reading his books and that is what counts.
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 12:44 PM

Who is Wilbur Smith? I'm kidding, Other than text books and the Newspaper as of recently I haven't had time to sit down and start a book. I should get one and keep it in my semi-private library ( restroom). .
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 03:31 AM

Realspeed, this is totally off topic, but those are some of the most beautifully crisp photos of Egypt I have ever seen. It must have been a sensational holiday!
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 05:20 AM

Yep over the years have read most of Smithies books and have yet to be disappointed with any, My favourites are the Courtney series
bakerman
Mexico

07-10-2017, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by basser ->
Yep over the years have read most of Smithies books and have yet to be disappointed with any, My favourites are the Courtney series
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you read "Sunbird" ? Definitely one of my favorites.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top