Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 09:44 AM

Problem with my nails!

In the last three months I've had two toe nails drop off!
Underneath was a partly formed new nail.

I haven't had any knocks or trauma to them at all.

Has this happened to anybody else?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 09:47 AM

Re: Problem with my nails!

some form of fungal nail infection? when I had it the DR gave me tablets and the nails took a year to grow back. They are the slowest part of the body to grow
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 09:51 AM

A number of reasons can cause this. Seen it happen through over use of false nails, injury, fungal etc

Info
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nail-problems/
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 09:53 AM

Not had that happen to me, but a friend.
Yes it sounds like a fungal infection.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 10:03 AM

There was no sign of fungal infection. They were perfectly clean & healthy looking. I've had no injury to them either. It was the second nail on each foot.

I don't have to wait for a new nail to grow. There's one underneath.

I just can't understand why this is happening.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 10:36 AM

Idea!!!! Try to stop scratching your head with them.

Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
There was no sign of fungal infection. They were perfectly clean & healthy looking. I've had no injury to them either. It was the second nail on each foot.

The second nail on each foot" could be a clue Carol. It might be the shoes you have been wearing. They could have put undue pressure on the second toes and without you realising it caused damage which affected the two toenails and they hung on just long enough to allow new ones to grow underneath. It could have happened sometime ago. I think it takes quite a while for a new toe nail to grow and the new ones probably pushed the older damaged one off.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
The second nail on each foot" could be a clue Carol. It might be the shoes you have been wearing. They could have put undue pressure on the second toes and without you realising it caused damage which affected the two toenails and they hung on just long enough to allow new ones to grow underneath. It could have happened sometime ago. I think it takes quite a while for a new toe nail to grow and the new ones probably pushed the older damaged one off.

Good point and that would come under trauma.

At least when your nails drop off for no apparent reason has a name you can pronounce '..onychomadesis .
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->

I had the exact same thing a couple of years ago.

My smallest toe nail. It felt a little wonky when I was cutting it but I carried on and the whole thing came off. It is just lifted away. Didn't hurt or anything.
Underneath was a new , clean very thin nail. No fungal stuff.. no discolouration or misshapeness (is that a real word?).

I made it a little sock to wear out of plasters to protect the new nail and the top of my toe ... just like those finger guards you used to be able to buy to pop on your fingers when sewing.

It grew back, as in , it thickened up ... and I've had no trouble since. At the time I did think if it did it again I'd get some fugal treatment stuff but it was fine. Like you, I can't say I'd knocked it or anything either.

Check your surrounding nails ... if it is fungal they'll look a little yellowish, or pitted or 'thick' in their growth.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 10:50 AM

I think runners get this happening to them all the time. OGF might confirm if he is reading this. Although there was no injury as such, it could be that your toe was rubbing inside you shoes and has loosened the nail. The fact that a new one started growing underneath is quite normal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top