Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 08:49 PM

Ribs again

Some may remember that my husband had a fall on MOnday night and damaged his ribs. We went to A & E and they just told him to go home and take painkillers, they said they don't x-ray rib injuries as there is no real treatment should they be badly bruised, cracked or broken other than painkillers.

Anyway, last night he started to be in much more pain and tonight we have just got back from visiting A & E again as he was having difficulty breathing without terrible pain and the pain had moved.

They xrayed him this time and nothing is broken, just badly bruised and they have given him strong pain relief.

Hopefully tonight he will get some sleep with that pain relief as he has barely slept since he had the accident. We are glad to know nothing is broken but we have said we dread to think how painful ribs are if broken when badly bruised ribs are causing so much pain.

My poor husband, I hate him to be in so much pain and I feel totally helpless. Time is going to be the only healer here.

My niece just joked he'll do anything for a few days off work
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 08:55 PM

Re: Ribs again

Hi

It does take time for broken ribs.

Just be thankful he has not torn the muscles between the ribs.

Thirty years later they are still causing problems.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It does take time for broken ribs.

Just be thankful he has not torn the muscles between the ribs.

Thirty years later they are still causing problems.
Oh, thats not good. Yes, I guess time is the healer. Be glad when he's well again.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 09:06 PM

When we hear of people with injuries such as bruised ribs we tend to think 'Oh well, bruised ribs' but when it happens to us we are suddenly aware of how much pain it gives.

Best wishes to Mr Lion, hope the pan stops soon.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 11:46 PM

What kind of painkillers is your hubby on? They put me on co-codamol on prescription but failing that the soluble type Solpadein is a good alternative. Don't take too many during the day.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
When we hear of people with injuries such as bruised ribs we tend to think 'Oh well, bruised ribs' but when it happens to us we are suddenly aware of how much pain it gives.

Best wishes to Mr Lion, hope the pan stops soon.
I agree. I think any injury to the ribs or around the ribs is incredibly painful and they don’t heal quickly.
Hopefully in a week or two he will be feeling much better but ribs do take some time to heal. Sneezing and / or coughing really hurt so tell him to make sure not to sneeze or cough.

I have to give my man much credit though. Within 3 weeks he was splitting 4 bush chords of wood with an axe after cracking 2 ribs last summer. I was quite impressed. That’s my man.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 07:27 AM

Poor man,no one wants to see their loved one,in so much pain,I can relate,it takes time to heal,..just don't over do it,Mr Lion,.thinking of you both,
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 08:31 AM

I had a rib injury earlier in the year.

When I first did it, the first couple of days afterwards it was not too bad, sore but otherwise ok. But on day 3 I couldn't move, breathing was painful etc.

I went to the local minor injuries unit where I saw a doctor. He gave it all a good prod and said he was confident there were no breaks or cracks but I had what he called a severe chest wall injury, something they expect to see from somebody who'd been hit by a car.

He advised me on pain relief and gave me a leaflet which had breathing exercises in it which I had to do several times a day, I was also advised not to take cough medicine to suppress any cough I had because I needed to cough to keep my lungs clear. Coughing was incredibly painful, I had to curl up in a little ball to do it.

It took about 6 weeks for it to get to the stage where I didn't need painkillers.

It's no joke, Mr LQ has my sympathies.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I agree. I think any injury to the ribs or around the ribs is incredibly painful and they don’t heal quickly.
Hopefully in a week or two he will be feeling much better but ribs do take some time to heal. Sneezing and / or coughing really hurt so tell him to make sure not to sneeze or cough.

I have to give my man much credit though. Within 3 weeks he was splitting 4 bush chords of wood with an axe after cracking 2 ribs last summer. I was quite impressed. That’s my man.
Nans are like that aren't they.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 10:34 AM

Hope he gets better quickly. Nothing worse than the pain of cracked or even bruised ribs, well, except maybe pancreatitis.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top