Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 03:18 PM

Woman who spent £16m in Harrods revealed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45812210

A woman fighting to keep her £11.5m London home, after becoming the first target for the UK's new anti-corruption law, has been named as Zamira Hajiyeva.

Mrs Hajiyeva - who is originally from Azerbaijan - lost a legal battle to stay anonymous after the media argued the public should know the full facts.

The wife of a former state banker spent £16m in Harrods over a decade.

She also bought a house close to the store - and a golf course in Berkshire.

The High Court has ordered her to explain the source of her wealth - and she risks losing her property if she cannot do so.

Under the terms of the UK's first ever Unexplained Wealth Order, Mrs Hajiyeva, 55, must now provide the National Crime Agency with a clear account of how she and her husband, Jahangir Hajiyev, could afford to buy their large home in the exclusive London neighbourhood of Knightsbridge.

Mrs Hajiyeva's lawyers said the UWO "does not and should not be taken to imply any wrong-doing", by her or her husband. They have applied for permission to appeal against the order.

Her husband, Jahangir Hajiyev, is the former chairman of the International Bank of Azerbaijan.

He was jailed in 2016 for 15 years after being convicted of being part of a major fraud and embezzlement that saw tens of millions of pounds disappear from the bank.

What is an Unexplained Wealth Order?

A UWO is a new power which has been designed to target suspected corrupt foreign officials who have potentially laundered stolen money through the UK.

Investigators from the National Crime Agency believe there are billions of pounds of dirty money invested in British property - but it is almost impossible to charge the owners with a crime or seize the assets because of a lack of evidence.

The new Unexplained Wealth Orders are an attempt to force the owners to disclose their wealth.

If a suspected corrupt foreign official, or their family, cannot show a legitimate source for their riches, then the National Crime Agency can apply to the High Court to seize the property.
That's the way to do it ......
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 03:48 PM

Re: Woman who spent £16m in Harrods revealed

Hi

Great news.

I doubt they will be taking much interest in me though.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Great news.

I doubt they will be taking much interest in me though.
Or me.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45812210

That's the way to do it ......
Absolutely right too!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 05:01 PM

I can see a few Russians leaving pretty soon.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 11:58 AM

Only £16m, what a cheapskate. If I was shopping there I would spend at least £40m.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

11-10-2018, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Only £16m, what a cheapskate. If I was shopping there I would spend at least £40m.
You could get two lunches for that.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You could get two lunches for that.
Wow TWO, I thought it would be only one.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 01:41 PM

Excellent news!
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 05:20 PM

I'm glad she's been named. I was beginning to suspect it was the wife!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top