Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 02:06 PM

Re: Taking OFF To Iceland

Looks like you had an interesting day yesterday, Bob

Glad you’re enjoying it...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2019, 10:04 AM

Thanks everyone for looking in and making an old bloke feel young and debonair just like James Bond........
The Bee Gees tribute was brilliant Realist, and the Eagles are also one of my favourites so will look out for that one.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2019, 10:05 AM

Glad you are having fun
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2019, 10:21 AM

Morning Summer....

My day usually starts with an early morning five miler around one of the upper decks that have been purposely made for early morning walks/runs...

Running gives you such an appetite, so next it's off for a tasty cooked breakfast.....

No running yesterday though but still had the breakfast while the captain (Sarah Breton) a woman!. reversed into the bay.....
We were dropping anchor in the fjord and taking a tender to the dockside in Isafjordur, a beautiful little fishing port made all the nicer with a warm sun illuminating the surrounding hills.

After a thorough expedition around the town we returned to the ship an hour... later....Alright maybe an hour and a half, towns in Iceland tend to be very small. There were more passengers on our ship than the population of Isafjordur!...

I had scheduled a run for this morning (Friday) but we were going on a tour that departed at 9:00am so I decided to postpone the run until tomorrow (Saturday and a sea day)....
It was while we were enjoying an early breakfast when the first whale appeared off the port side, and then another, we were surrounded by whales spouting jets of water high into the sky and then rolling forward, and with a flick of their mighty tails disappeared into the depths.

As whale activity diminished, dolphins appeared and kept pace with the ship and we were sat by the window having a grandstand view. It was certainly the most exciting breakfast I've ever had.....

The tannoy crackled and the captain explained that during the night the ship had to turn back to Isafjordur to be met by the coastguard cutter who would take off another unfortunate medical emergency who had become ill during last nights theatre performance. It's only to be expected I suppose when the average age of the passengers is around 75. I do wish the person involved a successful and speedy recovery though...

So about 3 hours behind schedule we are presently just arriving in Akureyri and are waiting to dock. Tours will still go ahead but times will be rescheduled if the captain can have permission to remain in the port longer than had previously been booked....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2019, 11:32 AM

You look and sound to be having a 'whale' of a time.

Brilliant photographs too and you are even managing to keep up the running! That will prevent you putting on weight due to all that delicious food!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2019, 03:03 PM

I am tickled pink to find you having such an enjoyable time. The livery paint scheme is very sharp, and that looks like one of the nice jogging tracks, though the quick sprint up that hill and outcropping must have been a welcome relief.. Excellent and relaxed running form, BTW ! I am terribly jealous in a good way!

Apparently Iceland is quite the spectacular place and just from flying over it, it appears to be similar is some fashion to the Pacific islands I've visited. Are you hiking quite a bit? What do you think of the waterfalls? Glaciers? I understand that it is a phenomenal place to get a feeling for evolutionary processes. Are you getting plenty of nature talks? How are the guides? Too many questions, LOL.

How fantastic that the pods of whales and dolphins joined you for breakfast! I'm sure there is more where that came from!

You look handsome and debonair in your tux, no doubt stirring the ladies' imagination and adding to the flair of cruising as its most enjoyable. What species of whales are you seeing?

Thank you for taking us along. Good grief though, It's getting awfully crowded in this stateroom with the entirety of the forum along, so I am slipping out for a bit.

Looking forward to more photos and reports! Steady as she goes.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 06:43 AM

What a breakfast ! ....you are right those memories will last forever... I never fancied Iceland cruises but your posts have changed my mind...it sounds great fun
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

13-07-2019, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
You look and sound to be having a 'whale' of a time.

Brilliant photographs too and you are even managing to keep up the running! That will prevent you putting on weight due to all that delicious food!
If you'll excuse the pun.....
Thanks Baz, and yes it's nice to get out of breath on the running deck every once in a while, but I think the food consumption has overtaken the calorie burning.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

13-07-2019, 12:06 PM

Thanks Surfermon, Iceland has turned out to be a fantastic place and not how I would have described it prior to visiting.
The geology is quite something else, with parts of the Island several hundred million years old and other parts relatively new, just a few million years old.

The species of whale is somewhat a matter of debate with some people claiming 'Humpback' but they looked small and I would suggest 'Minky Whales'....

Unfortunately decent hiking has not been possible due to the limited time spent ashore, and Mrs Foxes dislike of rambling over long distances and rough terrain. We are only as adventurous as our weakest member.....

Thanks also for the complement, and the running track is the best I've I've come across on any ship.....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Cor! You scrub up well, Bob!

Glad the weather has improved for you and you enjoyed a quieter day. I can’t imagine sun streaming through the windows at turned 11 at night!

Looking forward to the “Ring of Fire” report
He does doesn't he. he could easily be the new Bond.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top