Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 10:14 PM

Turntable; no power.

I bought one of these rather authentic record players (with CD + radio too) a couple of years ago.

I played one album on it and a few CDs but the next time I went to switch it on, there was a slight flicker from the power light and that was it, it didn't work. The problem is that while I was away on holiday the company I bought it from, Maplin, went bust, so the guarantee was invalid.

I never got around to seeing about getting it repaired but now I have found time to get things sorted out in the house, I thought it would be a good time to get it repaired.

Do you think there may be an easy solution to this problem without paying for the repair which would be around £18 per hour labour charge? Can I take it apart in some way?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 10:25 PM

Re: Turntable; no power.

Is that the Memphis Retro music centre Floydy?

I bought my SIL one of those for his birthday two years ago ..... I hope nothing like that has happened to his He probably wouldn't tell me if it had.

I hope you manage to get it repaired.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 10:39 PM

May sound silly but have to checked the fuse in the plug? more than likely only a 3 amp red fuse so I would swap that first

easy to check but placing that one in a good plug and see in say a table light comes on. if not then the fuse has blown
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Is that the Memphis Retro music centre Floydy?

I bought my SIL one of those for his birthday two years ago ..... I hope nothing like that has happened to his He probably wouldn't tell me if it had.

I hope you manage to get it repaired.
It is the same one, Mags. GPO Memphis. From the brief time I used it it had a nice sound to it. I'll get it sorted tomorrow

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
May sound silly but have to checked the fuse in the plug? more than likely only a 3 amp red fuse so I would swap that first

I did wonder about the fuse, Realspeed. But then it wouldn't even see a glimmer maybe?
Thanks, I will check the fuse in the morning just to make sure
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 10:52 PM

next step I would take is see if there are any small glass type fuses inside the unit, the metal wire inside may have blown. best to take it step by step. from then on it would need a meter to check circuits but if a printed board fault not worth the time and cost trying to get it repaired

I chucked out what was a good unit that did tapes-discs and radio. it had been in the garage for some time and the drive belts for the discs had perished as well as the tape drives. Expensive unit at the time but too old to repair,. so it got dumped
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 11:09 PM

Look out for failed capacitors the top should be flat, not bulged like that
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

17-09-2019, 11:23 PM

RC the problem there is finding the right capacitor and soldering it in to replace one that is removed. No doubt it came from China anyway
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 12:53 AM

Sometimes, depending on the product, when a fuse blows some parts of the "thing" whatever it is, still shows signs of electrical life. This is the case with some guitar amplifiers. The pilot light will light up but the main circuit is dead etc. Apart from what everybody else has said - check connections, power cord etc, it could be anything. Short story, take it to somebody qualified to check it out. Don't do it yourself. YOu are a valued member here. We like you alive!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Sometimes, depending on the product, when a fuse blows some parts of the "thing" whatever it is, still shows signs of electrical life. This is the case with some guitar amplifiers. The pilot light will light up but the main circuit is dead etc. Apart from what everybody else has said - check connections, power cord etc, it could be anything. Short story, take it to somebody qualified to check it out. Don't do it yourself. YOu are a valued member here. We like you alive!
Wise words Keezoy 👍
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

18-09-2019, 11:28 AM

Do I really come across that stupid?

(Please don't answer that lol)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top