Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 11:20 AM

Re: Meet the next 007

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Ha! Well he wouldn't cut it with his peaky Blinder character, LD.
I've seen him in other films and TV series where he is as good at doing a middle class accent ('Inception') as he is with Cockney or an American one (anyone seen The Revenant?).
He'd make a very good choice.
You are right Floydy in that he is a good actor. I am always impressed with actors that can play very different characters. Coming from the East end of London myself, I can say that his cockney accent is superb (as it used to be - not so much now of course).
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You are right Floydy in that he is a good actor. I am always impressed with actors that can play very different characters. Coming from the East end of London myself, I can say that his cockney accent is superb (as it used to be - not so much now of course).
I never knew you were from the East end, LD. I thought you were from Newcastle for some reason
That's good. Working class bloke

Shame you're still a Southerner though
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 11:35 AM

I never knew you were from the East end, LD. I thought you were from Newcastle for some reason
That's good. Working class bloke

Shame you're still a Southerner though
I wondered what the big gap was for in the post.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 11:37 AM

A female James Bond will never happen. It's nothing to do with being sexist, the role was written for a man which is why Ian Fleming named him James. Hello?!

This political correctness lark really has gone to far. We need to get a grip and put a stop to all this nonsense.

Oh for God's sake! What the hell is going on?

Scary it is.

https://thedigitalwise.com/2019/07/2...ld-truly-know/
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

29-09-2019, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Scary it is.

It would be like Richard lll being played by a woman. Oh hold on, that has already happened.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 11:43 AM

Scary it is.

That's ridiculous isn't it?! Is this really true, or do you suppose it's more speculation?
Why not just call it a different franchise featuring a female (and black) lead actor?

That's me finished with James Bond films then.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Ignore the films for a minute and go back to the books - Ian Fleming gave a detailed description of James Bond in most if not all of them - and the character was quite definitely male! Not only that - but if you read between the lines - Fleming was rather racist - so there is no way on this earth he would have allowed a black person to play Bond. Quarrel, the Cayman Islander in Dr No, is the only black person about whom he had anything good to say. Not PC by today's standards but that is how it was.

Have to say I prefer the books - Bond manages to extricate himself from most situations by using some degree of intelligence - and without the stupid gimmicks and gizmos used in the films.
Indeed ..... this is the Wiki description:

Commander James Bond, CMG, RNVR, is a fictional character created by the British journalist and novelist Ian Fleming in 1953.

The character is a Secret Intelligence Service 00 Agent, code number 007, residing in London but active internationally. Bond was a composite character who was based on a number of commandos whom Fleming knew during his service in the Naval Intelligence Division during the Second World War, to whom Fleming added his own style and a number of his own tastes. Bond has a number of consistent character traits which run throughout the books, including an enjoyment of cars, a love of food, alcohol and love-making, and an average intake of sixty custom-made cigarettes a day.
I recently re-visited "Ian Fleming: Where Bond Began", a documentary presented by the lovely Joanna Lumley:

in which she frequently points out the similarities between James Bond's fictional life and Ian Fleming's real life:

Many of the events in the books actually happened or Fleming, as part of his role in Naval Intelligence, had planned to happen .....
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 11:54 AM

Bond movies have always been far-fetched, a female in the role will make the character a fantasy.

They will have to redefine 007, to make it believable.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

29-09-2019, 12:03 PM

Bond movies have always been far-fetched, a female in the role will make the character a fantasy.

They will have to redefine 007, to make it believable.
Any action film is far-fetched, not just Bond. Even sci-fi isn't real

007 would need to be renamed "007LGBTiQ+blackminorityequalgender".
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 12:29 PM

Even sci-fi isn't real
No! You surely can't mean there was no SS Enterprise? No Borg?

You've just made me cry, Floydy!

Need to go and cuddle a cat now.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top