Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2013, 10:41 AM

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Some dont think so.

[link removed]
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2013, 11:44 AM

Re: Is America the greatest country in the world?

Well that has scared me I am not a member never have been a member but the page greeted me hello Julie Smith. How does it know who I am ?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well that has scared me I am not a member never have been a member but the page greeted me hello Julie Smith. How does it know who I am ?
That is strange Julie. I went on at first and have just been on again and haven't had a greeting like yours, although I have joined facebook, but never go on.

Anyway - "Is America the Greatest Country in the World" - I would say depends. Off the top of my head I would think no country can be thought of as unreservedly the greatest country in the world. Some are better to some people than other countries appear to be and it depends on what criteria is set or what yardstick is being used to measure or evaluate.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2013, 12:22 PM

Isn't this a clip from a film?
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2013, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Isn't this a clip from a film?
It was taken from a tv station called HBO broardcast about a year ago.

Yes it was staged but its open to discussion if hes right or wrong does not matter where it came from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEyUWKJFER8
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2013, 01:37 PM

Always wanted to visit America to go to the reservations mainly....
Its a beautiful country ... thats it for me...
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2013, 01:55 PM

Americia has much to be proud of, but it's history tells me there is much to be ashamed of, especially for such a "new" country, in the main populated by peoples of immigrant origins and with a relatively short recorded history. It is a great country with an abundance of resources and there are opportunities for the fit and able, but it cannot be simply labelled the greatest - IMO no country can lay claim to beng the greatest and it is important to ask the question "in what way/s greatest". Although patriotism and pride is no bad thing, a bit of humility and mature reflection is always useful. Maybe that's what this man is trying to convey?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2013, 02:17 PM

Oh I like the line before last Rena.....
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Although patriotism and pride is no bad thing, a bit of humility and mature reflection is always useful.
Totally agree. I'm afraid Americans have fooled themselves for too long that everyone loves them and every other country admires and is envious of them. They are starting to learn, from 7/11 and more recent events, that that is not necessarily true.

Their health and welfare system has always been woeful and varies enormously from state to state. There is an alarming number of religious fundamental fanatics and quite a bit of hypocrisy about it being the land of the free. And more class divide than the UK when it comes to money and the haves and have nots.

Having said that, we've been twice and found the people generally delightful and polite and helpful. We loved NY and felt safe there. I guess it depends where you go and who you meet.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
Some dont think so.

[link removed]
I've never been and have never had any desire to go - I really don't get all the fuss about America.

I've been fortunate enough to visit one country I wanted to explore (Switzerland) and the other country I'd like to visit is China (especially the Ice Festival in Harbin) but I doubt funds will ever stretch that far.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top