Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 12:45 PM

Re: Break up of the UK???

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
From what I can see it could well be the Scottish vote that will be vital to keep us in the EU. Too many people around here are believing all the myths that are being peddled by the Dirty Diggers media interests.
Lol...well from what I gather England contains 84 percent of The United Kingdoms Population....Compare that to My wee Country.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 12:51 PM

Perhaps we should consider the fact that there are as many people living in Yorkshire as in Scotland.

I might consider forming a YNP.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Perhaps we should consider the fact that there are as many people living in Yorkshire as in Scotland.

I might consider forming a YNP.
Aye..go for it....it has a nice ring to it.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 01:13 PM

How many Scots live in England?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Nicola has already said that she is preparing a better case for Scotland to be independent and she wants Scotland to remain in the EU.
So the media says ... and in the event of a Brexit she is going to push hard for another referendum on Scottish independence. She wants Scotland to remain in the EU .. which as their own nation Scotland are entirely entitled to want to do.

Originally Posted by May ->
Nicola can say what She wants..just as dithery Dave can....The final decision will be made by the People of 'THE UNITED KINGDOM'...which consists of Scotland,England,Wales,Northern Ireland....
Brexit might ... but not the issue of Scottish independence.
I often wonder if the whole of THE UNITED KINGDOM got to vote on it that what the outcome would be.
I'd vote for English independence from Scotland....unless the whole Barnett agreement was dismantled and renegotiated. Scotland receive a totally disproportionate amount of UK cash compared to the rest of us.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND

13-03-2016, 01:40 PM

Still bangin' the same auld drum I see...You can get all the information You need straight from the horses mouth here...have fun.

To contact Nicola Sturgeon as First Minister, please write in the first instance:

Office of the First Minister

St Andrew’s House

Regent Road

Edinburgh

EH1 3DG

Tel: 0300 244 4000

Email: FirstMinister@gov.scot
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 02:18 PM

It's not banging any kind of drum May ..

It's pretty simple really. It's all about belonging to a club.
At the moment there are some people who favour the UK staying in the EU because they believe the UK is too small to stand alone in the great global scheme of worldly powers.
Been in the EU club seems better, safer and more attractive.

Those who want to leave are fed up of the club because it's felt they restrict and interfere in our own Law making affairs and financially .. we contribute more than we gain. They want us to be our own country again.

Scotland is similar.
They're in the UK club .. but they manage to retain their own Law Making powers (and even vote on English matters) ... and receive more money per head than any other citizen of the UK. A beneficial club for them to be in.
The worst day of Sturgeon's life will be if the Scottish people actually do vote for independence. She prefers to use the threat as a club to bludgeon more concessions and perks out of the English government south of the Border.

Unless ... the UK vote for Brexit and then perhaps she's thinking she'd rather Scotland be a member of a bigger club than the current one . Nothing wrong with that.
Who knows .. it could be a good thing for Scotland to be independent and a member of the EU in their own right.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND

13-03-2016, 02:56 PM

You or I will not know if voting in or out of the EU will be beneficial to either of Our Countries,We'll just have to go along with the majority,

We Scots will never know if voting out of the UK would have been more beneficial to Us,We just had to go with the majority..As far as I and most of the Folk I've spoken to in this working class area in Central Scotland..it was a ONE TIME ONLY REFERENDUM ON INDEPENDENCE...We blew it.....and We will NOT put Ourselves through all that hate and prejudice again,..and if Sturgeon thinks otherwise She's in for a big shock...Now We have the Scottish Parliamentary Elections coming up here in May,so will be interesting to see how She does....after that I and others like Me may not even bother Our arse voting on the EU....sick to death of it all already.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 03:06 PM

Morticia said :------It's not banging any kind of drum May ..
It's pretty simple really. It's all about belonging to a club.

I agree Morticia, it is about belonging to a club, but sadly some won't accept the bad only the good, when you are in a club you take the rough with the smooth.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
So the media says ... and in the event of a Brexit she is going to push hard for another referendum on Scottish independence. She wants Scotland to remain in the EU .. which as their own nation Scotland are entirely entitled to want to do.

Brexit might ... but not the issue of Scottish independence.
I often wonder if the whole of THE UNITED KINGDOM got to vote on it that what the outcome would be.
I'd vote for English independence from Scotland....unless the whole Barnett agreement was dismantled and renegotiated. Scotland receive a totally disproportionate amount of UK cash compared to the rest of us.
When addressing the issue of Scottish independence I think we are ignoring a couple of important details. Firstly, following an extraordinary excellent case put forward by Nicola just over fifty percent of Scottish people voted not to accept Nicola's perfectly plausible idea.

Secondly, things have changed since then (twenty four hours in politics is a long time) The price of oil has dropped through the floor and doesn't look like recovering for quite some time, making North Sea Oil low on anyone's list of 'must have' energy sources. And if Scotland gain independence the nuclear sub base will most certainly move south costing the area thousands of jobs (including all the supporting businesses) I don't believe the Scottish people will have missed these facts.

This is assuming that Nicola succeeds in the forthcoming elections, which might be doubtful. I believe that the majority of Scottish people are happy to be part of the UK - as they were in the independence referendum.
I know I am happy for the Scottish to be part of the UK and unlike Morticia, I would always vote for Scotland to be part of Great Britain, without them we wouldn't be as great.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top