Join for free
Page 17 of 17 « First < 7 15 16 17
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2020, 06:26 PM

Re: What Things Have You Learned On This Forum?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Ah yes. Marge used to do medical MRI, so I understand that. Unfortunately, the medical MRI scanners require cooling with liquid helium (used to be liquid nitrogen too, but that's old hat now), so I'm not sure how that would be used 'in the field'.
No it wouldn't be used in the field on such a large scale as a MRI scanner JB, that requires an enormous amount of power to create a large enough magnetic field to project through a body.... Hence the necessary cooling...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2020, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
No it wouldn't be used in the field on such a large scale as a MRI scanner JB, that requires an enormous amount of power to create a large enough magnetic field to project through a body.... Hence the necessary cooling...
The cooling is actually to achieve superconductivity which reduces the electrical power needed to keep the thing working. Superconductivity is yet another interesting thing, but of course I'm straying well off-topic now.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2020, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The cooling is actually to achieve superconductivity which reduces the electrical power needed to keep the thing working. Superconductivity is yet another interesting thing, but of course I'm straying well off-topic now.
I only know about small electronic projects JB, MRI scanners are way outside my area of expertise.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2020, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I only know about small electronic projects JB, MRI scanners are way outside my area of expertise.....
Oh, don't think that I'm the world's expert on the subject. It's just what I have picked up when Marge first got the job. We both researched the subject out of interest, but also to ensure that Marge wasn't caught talking out of her backside in her new job.

To be honest, I know nothing!

Page 17 of 17 « First < 7 15 16 17

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top