Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 01:16 PM

Re: Ketogenic Diet

Originally Posted by cuphalffull ->
Yes, my apologies,
I'm overweight but not obese and I get too many 'friends' giving 'advice' even my DiL who is diabetic telling me not to diet.... So I tend to sound off when I perhaps shouldn't.
No problem Cupfull, I'm sure you look lovely as you are....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's a forum Cupfull, we are interested and love to hear other members opinions, but have no intention of meddling......
I wouldn't dream of meddling - these people must know what they are doing - but it just sounded very strange to me.

Yes, my apologies,
I'm overweight but not obese and I get too many 'friends' giving 'advice' even my DiL who is diabetic telling me not to diet.... So I tend to sound off when I perhaps shouldn't.
No problem.

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Silver Tabby re your post #12
Your friend sounds in a very bad way . What a sad situation she’s found herself in ?
She is indeed in a most unhealthy state - but a lot of it is, sad to say, her own doing in as much as she is reluctant to take any responsibility for herself. As far as I can tell - it is the medics who have finally lost patience with her and put her on this rather drastic programme. Her partner is cooking the meals - so she is sticking to the diet - but she is not doing any of the exercises she was given.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Like realising that the wholemeal bread I thought was better when in fact bread with seeds is better than that.
The most important thing with bread is how it's made. Long fermentation times make for healthier bread.

Finding out that what I believed to be a healthy breakfast cereal did in fact contain 29 teaspoons of sugar!
Yep cereals are a real issue. 99% of the cereals in any supermarket aisle are simply piled with sugars. There are only a handful of actual healthy ones which are:

Weetabix and Shredded Wheat which are just 100% wheat.

and Porridge which is 100% oats PROVIDED you buy it as raw oats. Beware of "Quick Oats" and porridge pots where you just add boiling water, they are piled with sugar.

Then there are all the cereals that advertise themselves as healthy but which are also piled with sugar so are anything but healthy. These include:

All Bran, Bran Flakes, packets of Dorset Granola and packets of Jordan's Crunch. All piled with sugar.

Likewise the fruit drinks in cartons are not as healthy as they are made out to be, they are often full of sugar too!

Yep. Really bad fruit juices. A 1 ltr carton of pure 100% apple juice contains the equivalent of 21 teaspoons of sugar !!!

Fruit juices are all the sugars of fruit and none of the fibre. Therefore avoid.

You're on the ball Baz, good to see.
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 06:54 PM

Silver Tabby the Ketogenic diet is much like the original Dr Atkins diet. This chap https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto is a fan too. I did try it but find I get on better with calorie counting.

A lot of "low fat" diets are high sugar which as Prof. Yudkin said is snow-white and deadly. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyl...out-sugar.html
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
You're on the ball Baz, good to see.
Thanks Realist, the prospect of possibly being Type 2 diabetic does rather instil a sense of it being very important to change one's lifestyle as soon as possible! The consequences of not doing so are not very pleasant if diabetes is developed!

I would also like to add that anyone experiencing difficulty in checking product labels could make use of free apps. for your mobile phone. All you need do is scan the product barcode with the mobile's camera and you will get a readout on your phone as to how much sugar, fat and salt are in that product, it's also shown as 'traffic light' colours so very easy to use. Not all products are can be successfully scanned in this way but a good many can. After doing your usual shop a couple of times you should have a readily accessible list so you can just refer to that list. One other tip is to always compare contents of products by using the 'Per 100g' column, this gives you an exact 'like for like' comparison of any product.

These apps. can be found on the usual app. site for whatever mobile you have, as far as I know all are free:

'Food Scanner' – Change4Life

'Smart Recipes' – Change4Life

'Sugar Smart' – This shows sugar in a product as sugar cubes per 100g/ml so easy enough to see exactly what sugar is in the product.

Another app. with some good tips, advice and recipes is 'Easy Meals'.

There are also various apps. you may be interested in from Public Health England, just download any you want.

Another useful item of knowledge is that should there be any product without the label where you can check ingredients, then ask the supermarket for this information. They are obliged to keep details of the contents of all products they sell for those who may have allergies. This information can also be found on the online shopping websites of whichever supermarket you use, just click on the photo of the product and you should see a list of the ingredients.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 09:14 PM

'Sugar Smart' – This shows sugar in a product as sugar cubes per 100g/ml so easy enough to see exactly what sugar is in the product.
I simply use the teaspoon method

4g sugar = 1 teaspoonful

So just divide the sugar content by 4 and then factor up for the entire product.

e.g

A product weighs 250g
the sugar content is listed as 8.5g per 100g

So the whole product contains approx 21g of sugar

Divide that by 4 gives us about 5 teaspoons of sugar
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

21-08-2019, 09:16 PM

find I get on better with calorie counting.
I'm interested to understand how you work out the number of calories your body is burning at different times of the day and how many at night.

If you're counting calories you surely need the numbers being put in AND the numbers being burned
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 09:27 PM

I simply use the teaspoon method

4g sugar = 1 teaspoonful

So just divide the sugar content by 4 and then factor up for the entire product.

e.g

A product weighs 250g
the sugar content is listed as 8.5g per 100g

So the whole product contains approx 21g of sugar

Divide that by 4 gives us about 5 teaspoons of sugar
That might be OK for one product but if you are shopping for say, a week's food, it's going to take forever to do that calculation for every product you wish to buy and that's just for the sugar content.

An added bonus is to use the Smart Scan app. which gives a read out of sugar, salt and saturated fat per 100g and also in 'traffic light' format. Once scanned the ingredients of that product are then on a list in your phone to which you can refer any time. It's definitely an eye opener to see how much of the 'wrong' ingredients we are consuming mostly without even knowing.

Give the app. a try and see what you think, it's free to download and can be deleted if not required, well worth just trying I reckon.
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 01:51 PM

I'm interested to understand how you work out the number of calories your body is burning at different times of the day and how many at night.

If you're counting calories you surely need the numbers being put in AND the numbers being burned
I know it's a rule of thumb but it does work for me (when I stick to it ) I lost 2½ stones in six moths a couple of years ago but it is slowly creeping back. However, at 86 I'm not breaking my heart over it. I do the calorie counting with My Fitness Pal, on line.

I do think low carbs is perhaps the healthier way but it just stopped working for me as I grew older & so a lot less active. I started dieting after my second child was born via low carbs after reading This Slimming Business by Prof. John Yudkin. That was in 1958 so eating low carb is far from being the latest trendy diet.
50 In 2019
New Member!
Herts
50 In 2019 is male 

11-10-2019, 11:27 AM

Hi I'm new to the site and a little late to this post.

Here's my meandering path to finding, understanding and now living with Keto.

I never thought about food consumption in my twenties.

I ate the same way in my thirties. Slowly but surely I was putting a bit of weight each year.

Ate same way in my forties + started TKD martial Arts class (with the kids) weight still rising slowly and steadily.

I was definitely the fittest I've ever been (3hr of TKD classes and 10k run each week).

In 2016 routine blood test diagnosed me as Pre Diabetic.
Very confused indeed.

Didn't want to take tablets so I did a lot of reading and research and found many fit people (some very fit) with same pre diabetic condition.

Of all the reading and endless Youtube watching it comes down to simply eating or not eating and insulin. Specifically the two states of how your body fuels itself.

I am now 50 (2 years of later) blood test markers all normal and I've loss over 6kgs (these were accumulated over the last 20years). I still eat very similar foods, but the proportion of components have changed. Looking at the whole picture in terms of calories, I am still eating about the same amount (at least I think so anyway because I am not hungry). When I choose eat my breakfast has also changed and after a few weeks I decided to drop it all together because I was not hungry in the morning anymore.

The only other thing I did was to only drink on the weekends. Starting Friday night (opening window 7pm) and Sunday night (closing window midnight!).

I am not suggesting that everyone should give Keto and go. This is only my story. Please also be aware, if you are on any diabetes tables, DO NOT TRY KETO without close monitoring by your GP because it dramatically mucks about with your bodies natural levels of insulin.

My take away:
a) Understand insulin
b) What happens when your body produces insulin
c) Can insulin be easily controlled by food - YES
d) There's a lot of everyday food and natural sugars that do not trigger the release of insulin when consumed

If what and when we were told to eat is the best practice for our body's function then we should not be seeing the levels of metabolic syndrome conditions in our society.

I feel healthier now then I've ever been and I know it is to do with what and when I am eating.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top