Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 06:04 PM

Re: The other side of the 'push' for electric cars

I think there’s a little bit of confusion over the batteries, the actual batteries that drive the car are separate to the normal 12v battery that you find on an ice car, the article regarding the cost of the leaf replacement batteries is seven years old, some of the early electric cars are still running on the original batteries, yes, maybe a reduced range but they’re still going,
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
What's happened to the wind?
Here is where our electricity came from this month. Wind is represented by the light blue, Combined Coal and Gas is represented by the orange....If it hadn't been for Drax, we would have been stuffed....

Well that puts things into perspective.

It also confirms that we don't really need to rely on France for our energy needs, doesn't it? In fact, I was under the impression that at some times we export electricity to them.
Certainly, we should be expanding our nuclear power provision before it's too late to start thinking about it.

Surely, our coal and gas sources for electricity don't all come from that one power station, Drax, do they? I also thought that the greenies had convinced the authorities that they should be burning wood chips instead of coal, though how that makes any difference to their 'global warming' I have no idea!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
What's happened to the wind?
Here is where our electricity came from this month. Wind is represented by the light blue, Combined Coal and Gas is represented by the orange....If it hadn't been for Drax, we would have been stuffed....

Well that puts things into perspective.

It also confirms that we don't really need to rely on France for our energy needs, doesn't it? In fact, I was under the impression that at some times we export electricity to them.
Certainly, we should be expanding our nuclear power provision before it's too late to start thinking about it.

Surely, our coal and gas sources for electricity don't all come from that one power station, Drax, do they? I also thought that the greenies had convinced the authorities that they should be burning wood chips instead of coal, though how that makes any difference to their 'global warming' I have no idea!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 08:43 PM

I only mentioned Drax because I can see it from here JB, and it's a Yorkshire Power Station.....
Incidentally, the French supplied 4% of our electricity in the example.

Quote:

Drax power station is a large biomass and coal-fired power station in North Yorkshire, England, capable of co-firing petcoke. It has a 2.6 GW capacity for biomass and 1.29 GW capacity for coal. Its name comes from the nearby village of Drax. It is situated on the River Ouse between Selby and Goole. Wikipedia
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 02:03 AM

My SIL's parents bought a Hyundai Kona EV which has a bigger battery than the Leaf because they wanted to be able to get to Canberra and back without recharging. It is essentially the wife's car as they also have a Toyota diesel SUV to pull their three tonne caravan.

They don't charge the car every night but wait until the battery is 50% discharged before charging. They have not installed a fast charger but use the one that just plugs into the normal 10amp household power point. The car is fully charged by the morning.

On one occasion they stopped to use an NRMA fast charger on the Hume Highway to see how it went. The car was fully charged by the time they returned from a coffee and pie at a local bakery, They told me how much it cost but I have forgotten what it was however I remember thinking at the time that it wasn't that dear and certainly less that filling up with half a tank of petrol (remembering our petrol is half the rice of the UK's)

The vehicle however cost a lot of money to buy.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Time to put my chemistry teacher's hat on.

Lithium is nasty, very nasty, and dangerous in its metallic elemental form. It is very difficult to recycle but that's not to say recycling methods won't be developed in the future that improve on this.

https://www.lenntech.com/periodic/elements/li.htm

Whatever happened to that guy who patented another, more efficient, cleaner, cheaper, easily recyclable battery with a longer range that could be bought for just a few ££s at the supermarket?
He's still going but largely being pushed-out by the money as I see it.
The technology he uses looks very promising.
One story to give a taster here:
https://www.automotivelogistics.medi.../40079.article

And his website is here:
https://www.metalectrique.com/
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 11:18 AM

History,

Push for Diesel (Brown?)

Diesel became cheaper way to go.

Then the plug was pulled.

(No pun there then)

Push for Electric.

Electric seems least damaging to the environment.

Get the Majority on Electric.

Then reveal the cost of batteries, recharging & replacement.

Then pull the plug on Government support.

Moral of this story?

Only go when forced!

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-05-2021, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
History,

Push for Diesel (Brown?)

Diesel became cheaper way to go.

Then the plug was pulled.

(No pun there then)

Push for Electric.

Electric seems least damaging to the environment.

Get the Majority on Electric.

Then reveal the cost of batteries, recharging & replacement.

Then pull the plug on Government support.

Moral of this story?

Only go when forced!

Exactly, and if and when electric vehicles become sufficiently widespread, I foresee additional taxes imposed, perhaps on electricity - then we'll all suffer.

I'll stick with petrol until I'm forced to do otherwise.

Those who feel that electric is more to their liking can do what they want, but when it's time to sell their car I think they'll have second thoughts.

I have a feeling that in time, and when people learn from experience, electric cars will become less attractive.

Once again, a poorly thought out idea by the government.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Exactly, and if and when electric vehicles become sufficiently widespread, I foresee additional taxes imposed, perhaps on electricity - then we'll all suffer.

I'll stick with petrol until I'm forced to do otherwise.

Those who feel that electric is more to their liking can do what they want, but when it's time to sell their car I think they'll have second thoughts.

I have a feeling that in time, and when people learn from experience, electric cars will become less attractive.

Once again, a poorly thought out idea by the government.

The NSW Government has already said that when electric cars are popular enough there will be a mileage component added to the rego to compensate for the loss of fuel excise.

They said it would not be imposed until there is sufficient mass of electric cars as they don't want to slow down the take up.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 07:40 PM

Some more information about electric cars and the batteries that will be required in the future.

This news item is about an enormous factory being built in northern Sweden to manufacture batteries for electric cars.

"Surrounded by a forest of tall green pine trees, 125 miles south of the Arctic circle, a giant electric battery factory is rapidly taking shape on a site as big as 71 football pitches.

The project will be a gigafactory, a term coined by Tesla founder Elon Musk to describe his first high-volume plant for producing lithium-ion electric battery cells, deep in the Nevada desert.

By 2030, 40% of all new cars sold will be electric according to the latest forecast by the investment bank UBS, rising to almost 100% of the new car market by 2040."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57382472

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top