Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 08:24 PM

unconditional love

We often hear it said that a mothers love is unconditional. I've even said it myself without really deeply thinking about it until I read something the other day.

A woman had 4 boys and she is is a grandma many times over, she played a huge part in her grandchildrens life and close to all here boys and their wives. However one of her grandchildren has accused one of the boys of sexual abuse when she was very young, she's now 16 years old. This has devastated the grandma but she said her love for her boy is unconditional and she will not turn her back on him.

So it got me thinking, as this has never happened to me or even anyone I know I cannot say if I would, could, wouldn't, couldn't turn my back on my boy.

Should we love unconditionally even if we know our children has done something really serious like child abuse, murder or anything as horrific.

I felt so sorry for that woman, the turmoil she must have been in. The rest of the family disowned her because she wouldn't disown her son. How awful is that, sounds like a living nightmare doesn't it.

He went to prison and she goes to see him. What a horrible situation to be in.

Anyway where do we draw the line or is the love for our children REALLY unconditional.

I do know I would think that my child needed to be punished if he or she had done something dreadful and I like to think I wouldn't turn my back on my son but I honestly don't know what I'd do.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 08:56 PM

Re: unconditional love

Unconditional Love, or Unconditional Responsibility?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 09:01 PM

I believe in unconditional love for your children, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't fall foul of the law in cases like this. I also believe that a person's behaviour doesn't define the overall person they are, and if my son was in that position, yes I would still go to visit him in prison. I wouldn't forgive him for the heinous crime though, but I would still love him as my son. That poor woman, it must be awful for her.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 09:10 PM

Genes have a lot to answer for.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Do you think the genes have something to do with one of 4 boys doing a horrendous crime? I'm not sure I agree there spitty
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

14-05-2021, 09:29 PM

TBH, not sure, but, its a story book, for each individual family, and all the permutations.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 09:42 PM

One's kids don't come with a guarantee. They are what they are.

One or rather two of you have a responsibility to nurture them, support them, and provide a home for them in every way and guide them if they will accept guidance.

If they don't want it wait until they do and if they never want it keep it for ever in case they change their minds and make sure the guidance is what they want, not just what you want to give.

Repeatedly.

When push comes to shove YOU are all they really have in the world.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
So does DNA and therefore race.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

14-05-2021, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
One's kids don't come with a guarantee. They are what they are.

One or rather two of you have a responsibility to nurture them, support them, and provide a home for them in every way and guide them if they will accept guidance.

If they don't want it wait until they do and if they never want it keep it for ever in case they change their minds and make sure the guidance is what they want, not just what you want to give.

Repeatedly.

When push comes to shove YOU are all they really have in the world.
I'm trying to read what you are saying here Todgy, are you saying you wouldn't turn your back on your child if it were you?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

14-05-2021, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I'm trying to read what you are saying here Todgy, are you saying you wouldn't turn your back on your child if it were you?
I would NEVER turn my back on my kid. Neither of us would.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top