Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 09:02 AM

Re: Newbie but not to Gardening

Originally Posted by DianneWoollie ->
We had to purchase a small Plot of land at the end of our Garden recently as it had outline planning permission on it. Our fears took over as had previous upsets over land.

We enquired as to the cost of the Land..15,000 Euros. That was NOT an all in Price, yet to include Fees.... Estate Agents Fees and the Solicitors fees called Notaires here in France are expensive but the Solicitors always states that most of it goes to the Government in Taxes, which could well be true...

Normally all costs are paid my the Buyer here and always make an offer as it is known that the initial For Sale price is bumped up..Usual games, I call it..

The English Estate Agents actually said straight away that 11,500 Euros would seal the deal. So that was the price we offered...

Long story of lies and deceit by the Estate Agents that would be another Thread maybe sometime.

End of, we own the land and have a wide double width gate installed within the fencing. We had to buy a heavy duty grass cutter as the land is farmland with about 8 Walnut Trees on it...Feels good that we have our peace this time around..

The Fencing to the left is the road. I drops down around 75cms. The view ahead is our elderly non speaking English Neighbours but we do manage to communicate of a sort...

p.s. Just realised I got the view of the Photo wrong..The end view is actually the end of our Garden and the Road would be to the right side and the left fence is the boundary fence to a neighbours , 'we call him Silver Teeth' and he loves conversing with my Husband, always joking...Not sure of his real name though...
Landed gentry, well worth the expense I'm sure, do the walnuts produce ?
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 09:05 AM

Yes they do and hooked out walnut recipes already.. Date and Walnut Cake is going to be at the top...
One thing we have made clear to our elderly end neighbours.Have told them they can have some for themselves, as we have seen in the past they always picked some.

We presumed it was their land but with a flare up that occured the real owners turned up at our Gate one day to clarify all.. the real owners of the land were the Cousins of our end of garden Neighbours living in Niort about 1 hours drive away..part of a family feud was going on that we stayed well clear of. It was quite a Saga at the time.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 09:27 AM

Lovely garden, Dianne...I love gardening, could talk gardening all day.😃
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 09:37 AM

Well, it is still quite rugged in some places, but we are happy with what we have achieved, overall it is a good place to spend time

The battle of the weeds is daily of course at this time of the year, but someone has to sort them or they do take over.
We have a lot of creeping weeds that sneak under the grass and come up for air when they are going to flower. Like lots and lots of strands interweaving...Need to photograph some weeds today....then add here...
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 10:03 AM

What a lovely garden you have Dianne. Good thing you enjoy gardening because I can well imagine how much time that takes up to keep it looking so nice. I really like that little pond area in the first pic, it looks such a lovely, peaceful little place to sit and while away some time with a book and a nice cool drink. Will you be growing some climbers of some sort up the trellis?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 10:07 AM

Well, it is still quite rugged in some places, but we are happy with what we have achieved, overall it is a good place to spend time

The battle of the weeds is daily of course at this time of the year, but someone has to sort them or they do take over.
We have a lot of creeping weeds that sneak under the grass and come up for air when they are going to flower. Like lots and lots of strands interweaving...Need to photograph some weeds today....then add here...
How much land do you have Dianne?...if I may ask.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France

04-07-2021, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
What a lovely garden you have Dianne. Good thing you enjoy gardening because I can well imagine how much time that takes up to keep it looking so nice. I really like that little pond area in the first pic, it looks such a lovely, peaceful little place to sit and while away some time with a book and a nice cool drink. Will you be growing some climbers of some sort up the trellis?
We have planted another vine , trumpet trailers not sure at this mo of the real names but the flowers are like trumpets...
the other side already established roses and honeysuckle and a Vine. the new vine we planted recently said eating white grape so wonder if they will be..Most we have had are for wine producing, only ever attempted that the once. A neighbour with experience guided us all the way through the process and the end result was vinegar....really thought we had cracked it...
Next door they had a vine also and the couple that lived there at that time made wine and boy talk about blow your socks off.
Yes Trellis, made from the overgrowth from next doors bamboo.. neighbours of nightmares and they share all their garden with us...
no time at all it will be covered and looking good...Winter time can look quite bare as most loose all there leaves....
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France

04-07-2021, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
How much land do you have Dianne?...if I may ask.
was just under an acre but goes around three sides of the property and so feels just the right size.. the weeds 4 sides for them.
Many rural properties here have many acres..Big mistake to think wow that's a bargain with 10 acres..but then how does one cope with 10 sizes mine..not well at all..seen the wrecks they soon become...
The new land is just under a third of an acre, but that is not going to be made into a garden. We just intend to keep the grass short and tidy and later on some new open fences..

The French have more open fenced gardens than closed in ones here. You get the odd high walled in Garden and it looks like a prison in comparison to the others...We have highish Hedges on three sides, and the end is open except a mile a minute trailer..

Cloudy and threatening Storms today. Something I learnt recently was how your surroundings alter the weather forecast...Trees and the Shapes of the buildings will be the main reason the forecast appearing to be so wrong...
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France

04-07-2021, 01:27 PM

weeds... .... distance view which looks all like grass

I have over time dug out large sections of the farmland and replaced with your average grass seed, does well for a year then the weeds come back in herds.....

just been doing some digging and spotted this weed is smallish now and has caused a lot of work it takes out the grass as it spreads..... it does spread everywhere until it's cycle is complete for the season and a new weed takes over.
.still do not know the the name of it...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 07:34 PM

Beautiful garden Diane and I love this thread. Great to see a garden abroad too. Really interested in the name of the fabulous flowering plant in your first photo in post #11

Acanthus Spinous - I was looking at this earlier as thinking of expanding and planting out a border which is in partial shade. I thought at first that your mallows were anemones. They look very similar but don't like shade like anemones. Very pretty.

Also love your waterlilies. What do you feed the fish?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top