Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 04:17 PM

Re: Hinckley Point C

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Not when you take into consideration the total carbon footprint from breaking ground to final end-of-life shutdown. The carbon footprint of producing all the required concrete and cement, alone, is frighteningly high.
Less than a conventional CCGT by FAR.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Your misunderstanding of the issue is stunning.
That is much funnier than you will ever know!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Not when you take into consideration the total carbon footprint from breaking ground to final end-of-life shutdown. The carbon footprint of producing all the required concrete and cement, alone, is frighteningly high.
That’s what I thought Percy the amount of cement used is mind blowing .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

10-06-2021, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
That’s what I thought Percy the amount of cement used is mind blowing .
Still less per MWh than a conventional power plant of a similar capacity.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 04:49 PM

I doubt that -at Hinkley point C - apart from the vast amount covering the reactor are three long precast tunnels out to sea from the water intake towers for cooling .It’s not ordinary cememnt either it’s all special stuff .
Watch the program and see.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

10-06-2021, 05:21 PM

I doubt that -at Hinkley point C - apart from the vast amount covering the reactor are three long precast tunnels out to sea from the water intake towers for cooling .It’s not ordinary cememnt either it’s all special stuff .
Well !etc see but there's a shed load of concrete in a CCGT generator plant and a great deal of it isn't "two of sand to one of cement" stuff either but admittedly not as strange or complex as used in nasty bits of fission reactors.

Looking at Google the pour for the bases of the two reactors is complete and amounts to around 18,000 cublc metres which constitutes the majority of concrete for the bases of the pressure vessels. That's about 45,000 tonnes. The other construction bits will be as near as dammit to a CCGT though as a first cut I wouldn't be surprised if the weight of concrete used on a CCGT was actually quite a bit more.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

10-06-2021, 05:32 PM

Actually there's surprisingly (?) little covering the reactor itself. The big balls seen from the outside are containment vessels to contain any leakage. The reactor itself is surrounded not by concrete - instead it's water! That's why the base of the reactors is so critical.

I spent a few weeks at Windscale in my last year of studies for my BSc which goodness knows how was awarded to me back in 1965.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 07:23 PM

Deleted - duplicate
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
We do not own or operate our Nuclear Power Stations, the new Hinckley Point is a joint Chinese/French Scheme and we are committed to buy electricity from it at very expensive rates.

The cost we will be paying for our electricity will rise by over 60%.

The biggest cost is decommissioning and disposal of waste, both of which the UK is solely responsible for.

We cannot nationalise without compensation.
Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Well we COULD nationalise without any compensation with the agreement of parliament. Might not be too popular but what the hell?

As for the surcharge on electricity produced by Hinckley Point - perfectly understandable. The construction cost must be recouped.
I must confess to being a little confused here and would be grateful for some explanations if possible.

1. If we do not own our nuclear power stations, who does?

2. If we do not operate our nuclear power stations, who does?

3. Assuming that we asked the Chinese and French to build Hinckley Point power station, may I assume that we are paying them to do so?

4. If '3' above is correct, once we have paid them for the construction, would the power station then become our own property?

5. If the answer to '4' is that the power station would not then become our own property, to whom would it belong?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 07:51 PM

In the very long link that Muddy put up at the beginning of this thread
it stated the the French design for the actual reactor was
experimental, and had only been used once before on a smaller
scale in northern France, which incidentally had not been
successful ??
Who does what if Hinkley does'nt work ??
I believe our government has signed guarantees for payment to EDF
if things go pear shaped !!Fancy signing for a design that has'nt
worked yet ??
That's what comes of letting Eton schoolboys run things !!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top