Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 10:15 PM

Re: Fish pond

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Yep, the pond vac can be messy JBR.

Think it's the enzymes or something that's within the sludge layer that feeds the water that feeds the duckweed.

An aerator gives you the chance to move the bubbling stone around at will and no effort and oxygenate deeper into the pool that a pump/fountain. It will also create a bit or turbulence down deep, which is no bad thing in terms of not having a stagnant later of water which rarely moves, other than by convection currents I guess.

Your choice JBR. Don't shoot the messenger.

Edit: If the plants are happy, fish are happy, and you are happy, then no real need for it.
No shots fired, Dexter!
I appreciate all and any advice.
To be honest, though, everything was (and probably still is) happy and the fact that the three original fish multiplied into twelve I think is testament to that.

I was just a little worried after my stupid mistake, but things still seem to be OK.

Thanks again.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 11:34 PM

Always glad to share experiences JBR.

You know your pond pump, does it do what mine does and go like the clappers for about 10 seconds and then stop for a break while it pumps out the tank?

For some reason, it reminds me of the Morecambe and Wise breakfast sketch when Ernie whisks the eggs.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 05:20 PM

Always glad to share experiences JBR.

You know your pond pump, does it do what mine does and go like the clappers for about 10 seconds and then stop for a break while it pumps out the tank?

For some reason, it reminds me of the Morecambe and Wise breakfast sketch when Ernie whisks the eggs.
No, it runs continuously.
The water is pumped out from the bottom of the pond, up into a unit containing four circular filters surrounding a UV lamp, through the filters and out to a stone frog(?) which spits the water out in a fountain into the pond.

When I think on, I clear the build-up of debris on the outside of the filters by raising a couple of 'wipers' internally on either side of the filters after turning a tap to divert the water out of the container and on to the garden.

Once a year, I open the thing up to replace the UV lamp and give it a clean out, but not too much as it's good to keep some of the good bacteria, etc, in there.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 05:52 PM

Deepest apologies JBR, I was asking about your pond vac in my previous post.

Think I understand your filter system. The fact that it pumps water from the bottom will aim that lower level circulation I referred to.

In my setup, the water to the pump comes from a surface skimmer which, by definition, is at water level.

Then into a folder box like yours and into a metal blade thing like these https://www.primrose.co.uk/arc-stain...713_10831.html

My pond all sounds very grand, but it's not really. About 3m by 1.2m partly raised rectangular, 90cm deep with a shelf around 30cm from surface.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

04-07-2021, 06:09 PM

Here's a piccie of when we first installed it a few years ago. Everything's grown since then, so it's not quite s crisp!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/44SC6T5RkREn4r7o6
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

04-07-2021, 09:56 PM

Deepest apologies JBR, I was asking about your pond vac in my previous post.

Think I understand your filter system. The fact that it pumps water from the bottom will aim that lower level circulation I referred to.

In my setup, the water to the pump comes from a surface skimmer which, by definition, is at water level.

Then into a folder box like yours and into a metal blade thing like these https://www.primrose.co.uk/arc-stain...713_10831.html

My pond all sounds very grand, but it's not really. About 3m by 1.2m partly raised rectangular, 90cm deep with a shelf around 30cm from surface.
Oh, I'm sorry I misunderstood.

The pond vac is pretty much just a long pipe with an electric pump in one end. The pond water comes out of a flexible hose which can be laid wherever we want the water to go.

I was going to go out to the shed earlier to take a photograph of it for you, but it has been absolutely bucketing down all day and I don't like getting wet!

Yes, we seem to have quite different pond recirculation systems. I shouldn't like to say which is the best idea, not being an expert in such matters, but as long as the water is clean and aerated I suppose that's all that matters.

Our pond is oval shaped, about 9' long and 6' wide at the longest/widest points. I think it must be between 1 1/2 and 2 feet deep, but there are shelves at each end. It's mostly under the ground surface, but the edges are raised on 2 or 3 courses of bricks. Lined with rubber.
I can't claim any pride in creating it: it was there when we moved in, but without any filtration at the time it was dark, soupy and lifeless!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

04-07-2021, 09:58 PM

Here's a piccie of when we first installed it a few years ago. Everything's grown since then, so it's not quite s crisp!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/44SC6T5RkREn4r7o6
It looks very smart, and with nice pond plants too.

Any fish in there?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

04-07-2021, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
It looks very smart, and with nice pond plants too.

Any fish in there?
Yep. Some Koi which I'll probably have to sell or donate when they start to get too big in a few years. They've been keeping themselves hidden of late and don;t come to the surface like they used to so I could watch them eat.

Some predators might have got some of them, as I don't really keep count.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

04-07-2021, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I was going to go out to the shed earlier to take a photograph of it for you, but it has been absolutely bucketing down all day and I don't like getting wet!
Hasn't it just!!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

05-07-2021, 04:11 PM

Hasn't it just!!
Here's a picture of the pond vac thing in our shed, where it has been living for some considerable time.
I sincerely hope that this doesn't get back to Marge!
(Sorry, it has turned itself 90 degrees anticlockwise, as it always seems to do.)
I sincerely hope that your shed is equally untidy!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210705_160242.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	16182  

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top