Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 12:04 PM

England charged over laser pen incident .....

..... as second ball on pitch also adds to winning penalty controversy

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/euro-202...-kane-stepped/

Uefa have opened proceedings against England over the "use of a laser pointer" which appeared to be shone in the face of Denmark goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel before Harry Kane's semi-final-deciding penalty.

The penalty, which helped book England's place in their first men's European Championship, was already the subject of controversy after Raheem Sterling was accused of diving to win a penalty in the first half of extra time at Wembley on Wednesday night. Harry Kane’s penalty was saved by Schmeichel but the Tottenham striker scored on the rebound to put England 2-1 in front.

However, television footage later revealed that someone in the crowd shone a green laser pen in Schmeichel’s face in the moments before Kane stepped up to take the penalty.

It is unclear at this stage if Schmeichel was aware or if the laser affected him in any way but it was an unsavoury scene that drew condemnation from England fans on social media. And on Thursday morning Uefa also acted, with "the use of a laser point by its supporters" coming under one of three charges levelled at England following the match.

The other two are "disturbance caused by supporters during the national anthem" - England fans booed the Danish national anthem - and "lighting of fireworks by supporters," - in England's case, inside of Wembley. The case will be dealt with by the Uefa Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body "in due course."

That was not the end of the controversy around the goal either, with there being a second ball on the pitch when Sterling collected the ball at the start of the move that led to him winning the penalty. The incident drew plenty of ire from the Danish press on Thursday, who complained about play being allowed to continue.

Referees usually stop play in accordance with the laws of the game if there are two balls on the field, although can use their discretion and ignore if the ball is not interfering with play.

However, on this occasion the stray ball was in the vicinity of Sterling and the Denmark defenders and could conceivably be said to be causing a distraction.

Less of a clear-cut victory and more of a shambles then .....
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

08-07-2021, 12:13 PM

Re: England charged over laser pen incident .....

The English fans showed their usual good sportsmanship by once again booing during the Danish National Anthem and every time a Danish player got the ball.

I hate to say this but Forza Italia!!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
..... as second ball on pitch also adds to winning penalty controversy

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/euro-202...-kane-stepped/

Less of a clear-cut victory and more of a shambles then .....
A question for our photography members:-

Would it be possible to touch up a photo, such as this, with a green blob?

As for the "extra football, on the pitch, I have noted, at previous game, that, when a loose kick sends a ball up into the crowd, the supporters often hang on to it - only to throw it back later in the game.

These. as most football fans know, are just a method of mitigating it when you lose!
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 01:09 PM

Here we go there as to be some sort of controversy over the win.
For me we clearly deserved the win after the ref conveniently missed the dead cert earlier penalty.
When Kane had his foot stood on in the box.
Has for the smudge of green as Ted as already stated easily done with photo shop or should I have said badly done.

The real reason all of this is blowing up is because we never allowed the blue eyed boys of the competition to win and go through to the next round like all the previous teams did.
"Oh we are so sorry you nearly lost a player, poor you's. Here we will let you win".

Italy be scared be very scared we are coming for you next.
UkGameCoder
UK
UkGameCoder is male 

08-07-2021, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ullabi ->
The English fans showed their usual good sportsmanship by once again booing during the Danish National Anthem and every time a Danish player got the ball.

I hate to say this but Forza Italia!!
Utterly atrocious and unacceptable behaviour.

I sincerely hope that those idiots are a small minority.

However, I do believe that it probably worked in favour of Denmark - not intending to take anything away from the marvelous skills which the Danish team possesses, but they turned out to be one of the most difficult teams to play against. Throughout the game, I felt that Denmark had as much chance of winning as England did. Sadly for them, it was not to be - this time!
UkGameCoder
UK
UkGameCoder is male 

08-07-2021, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Would it be possible to touch up a photo, such as this, with a green blob?
Yes. However, I reckon it is not fake. I would say that it was some idiot in the crowd who needs to be banned from attending matches for at least one full season.

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
As for the "extra football, on the pitch, I have noted, at previous game, that, when a loose kick sends a ball up into the crowd, the supporters often hang on to it - only to throw it back later in the game.
You could be right about this. Whatever the cause, let's remember that the "distraction" would also apply to the English players.
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

08-07-2021, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Here we go there as to be some sort of controversy over the win.
For me we clearly deserved the win after the ref conveniently missed the dead cert earlier penalty.
When Kane had his foot stood on in the box.
Has for the smudge of green as Ted as already stated easily done with photo shop or should I have said badly done.

The real reason all of this is blowing up is because we never allowed the blue eyed boys of the competition to win and go through to the next round like all the previous teams did.
"Oh we are so sorry you nearly lost a player, poor you's. Here we will let you win".

Italy be scared be very scared we are coming for you next.
Ah yes of course, silly me.... England can do no wrong
UkGameCoder
UK
UkGameCoder is male 

08-07-2021, 01:28 PM

... booing ... every time a Danish player got the ball.
I believe that this booing was aimed at a particular player, Ullabi, - the one who passed the ball back to Kaspar Schmeichel in the opening minutes. Schmeichel picked the ball up, and so England should have been awarded an indirect free kick just outside the six yard box. However, the referee waved 'play on'!

All the same, I don't like to hear all that booing nonsense. After all, the guilty Danish player couldn't be expected to insist that England have a free kick! LOL!
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

08-07-2021, 01:35 PM

The "so called" fans booed during most of the first half, not to mention during the previous match at Wembley against Germany.
UkGameCoder
UK
UkGameCoder is male 

08-07-2021, 01:46 PM

The "so called" fans booed during most of the first half, ...
Yes, Ullabi, but I'm sure it was aimed at only a certain player. The booing did not occur for the others.

... not to mention during the previous match at Wembley against Germany.
Yes, I noticed that. I was genuinely puzzled by it. I can't remember seeing this before. I do hope that it's not another nasty habit creeping in to the game.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top