Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 10:24 PM

Re: Pets and Hygiene

Also, we carry poop bags for when we take our dogs in neighbourhood areas or public parks. It’s the respectful and responsible thing to do.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
First off, I will have to admit to spoiling our pets excessively, especially our dogs however, they are not allowed to beg for food, jump up on people, bark whenever they want of do whatever they please. They are well trained behaved dogs.
They aren’t perfect though. Like us they make mistakes.
I also however let them sleep on the bed but in their own beds. They are little well behaved hooligans whom I adore.

A while before we moved here we had some friends whom we had invited over for dinner one night. They had two huge dogs. One was a Newfoundland / Burmese mountain dog. The other dog came later. Anyway the dog ate my brand new sandals while we ate our dinner and after dinner they both let their dog eat their food right off their plates. This dogs head was well above the dinner table. After that ( I can’t believe there even was an after that ) when they invited us over to eat, they reached over the table, right in front of where I was eating and fed their dog right at the table. I couldn’t believe it.
This same dog also lifted its leg and urinated on a plant which was on the floor like it was an everyday thing.
See how tolerant I am.
That’s just shocking Bratti - I usually invite people over not their pets but I did have the experience the one time where someone pitched with an unruly dog - it wasn’t a pleasant experience. I’m a little house proud so I almost had a heart attack when the dog jumped onto my couch - er… no !
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 10:45 PM

Also, we carry poop bags for when we take our dogs in neighbourhood areas or public parks. It’s the respectful and responsible thing to do.
Well yes. I always have poop bags in my cargo pants.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 10:49 PM

First off, I will have to admit to spoiling our pets excessively, especially our dogs however, they are not allowed to beg for food, jump up on people, bark whenever they want of do whatever they please. They are well trained behaved dogs.
They aren’t perfect though. Like us they make mistakes.
I also however let them sleep on the bed but in their own beds. They are little well behaved hooligans whom I adore.

A while before we moved here we had some friends whom we had invited over for dinner one night. They had two huge dogs. One was a Newfoundland / Burmese mountain dog. The other dog came later. Anyway the dog ate my brand new sandals while we ate our dinner and after dinner they both let their dog eat their food right off their plates. This dogs head was well above the dinner table. After that ( I can’t believe there even was an after that ) when they invited us over to eat, they reached over the table, right in front of where I was eating and fed their dog right at the table. I couldn’t believe it.
This same dog also lifted its leg and urinated on a plant which was on the floor like it was an everyday thing.
See how tolerant I am.
Are you saying the owners allowed this - in your house? Good grief - they would never have been invited to mine again unless they left the dogs at home!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
That’s just shocking Bratti - I usually invite people over not their pets but I did have the experience the one time where someone pitched with an unruly dog - it wasn’t a pleasant experience. I’m a little house proud so I almost had a heart attack when the dog jumped onto my couch - er… no !
Well this was actually a first for us also.
It’s not that we don’t allow other pets in our house, we just didn’t think people brought their pets when invited for dinner. That itself is over stepping boundaries right from the ‘get go.’
To then go ahead and feed your dog like it’s your own home is beyond over stepping boundaries. That’s just plain rude.

I have to admit that our dogs have jumped on someone else’s couch when we were visiting however they were immediately reprimanded and didn’t do it again. Having pets takes responsibility for sure and not all people are pet lovers. It’s hard to imagine but they have a right to feel that way.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 09:43 AM

It seems from these posts there are some odd folk with animals, or maybe I am just too lenient with mine.

I have shared my home with different animals my entire life, I've never had an house without them, yet I have never, ever, contracted anything unsavoury from them in all my life.
We are more likely to catch something nasty from other humans!

If people are going to treat their dogs as some kind of dirty outcasts, why bring them home in the first place? And as for the person who sends their poor dog out of the room if it even attemps to lick anyone - perhaps they shouldn't even have a dog!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 10:14 AM

I try to observe good hygiene for my dog's sake as much as my own,
...I wash and sterilize water bowls and food bowls daily,
...dog bedding and sofa throws are washed at least weekly.
...I groom Chloe daily when returning from the long walk.

My previous dogs have slept on my bed on their own blanket, Chloe choose not to and the bed is quite high to jump on anyway .

Chloe is a funny little dog and clearly like a clean blanket and her water changed frequently, she 'has a look' when her bed is changed, sniffs it tail wagging and just stands by the bowl looking sad if the water is stale waiting for a fresh bowl.

Blow pet hygiene one of the little twin grandsons is not averse to a bit of bed sharing with Nova the puppy when he wanta quiet spot from his 4 sisters and brothers

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	194475543_10159493463116763_7133975686213952595_n.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	16363  
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 10:39 AM

My cats hate it when I wash their bedding - they have to roll all over it and/or knead it for a while before they will sit on it again. Presumably washing things means they no longer smell right!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

21-07-2021, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It seems from these posts there are some odd folk with animals, or maybe I am just too lenient with mine.

I have shared my home with different animals my entire life, I've never had an house without them, yet I have never, ever, contracted anything unsavoury from them in all my life.
We are more likely to catch something nasty from other humans!

If people are going to treat their dogs as some kind of dirty outcasts, why bring them home in the first place? And as for the person who sends their poor dog out of the room if it even attemps to lick anyone - perhaps they shouldn't even have a dog!

Very true, Mups. When my previous cat died - I said that's it - no more cats. That lasted all of a week. It was horrible coming in from work to an empty house. Willow arrived, courtesy of Cats Protection, and was joined the following year by Nemo. They drive me crazy at times - but I wouldn't part with them!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 01:54 PM

Pretty laid back with our cats. The older one just wants to be offered something from our plates or shown the plate, to have a sense of inclusiveness. For him it's the fact that we offer it that's important.

The younger one has calmed down, but used to be a bugger for leaping up and taking stuff off our plates when our backs were turned. My wife nipped to the kitchen once to get a drink of orange juice, and came back to catch him eating her bacon sandwich. He even had a go at a fresh chicken which we had left on the counter to come to room temperature before we butchered it. He has no shame whatsoever in ripping off tin foil from cooked food to help himself. We're not that bothered though.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top