Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 04:01 PM

Re: Pets and Hygiene

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Pretty laid back with our cats. The older one just wants to be offered something from our plates or shown the plate, to have a sense of inclusiveness. For him it's the fact that we offer it that's important.

The younger one has calmed down, but used to be a bugger for leaping up and taking stuff off our plates when our backs were turned. My wife nipped to the kitchen once to get a drink of orange juice, and came back to catch him eating her bacon sandwich. He even had a go at a fresh chicken which we had left on the counter to come to room temperature before we butchered it. He has no shame whatsoever in ripping off tin foil from cooked food to help himself. We're not that bothered though.
Dogs have owners - Cats have staff. 'Tis a well known cliche but even cliches are sometimes true!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 01:19 PM

We don’t allow our dog on the bed he never tries to get on .
( he does however sleep with my grandchildren if he goes to their house )
Mr M has bad enough hay fever without a big hairy dog on the bed .
in this hot weather mungo won’t even sleep in his own bed but prefers the floor .
He has never even tried to jump on the sofa .
I wash my dogs food bowl with hot water and just change the water daily . But he has also buckets outside where he prefers to drink .

We never leave the house without poop bags . I pooper scoop even in the fields as dogs feces can carry Neosporin which is fatal to cows and this is farming country .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
We don’t allow our dog on the bed he never tries to get on .
( he does however sleep with my grandchildren if he goes to their house )
Mr M has bad enough hay fever without a big hairy dog on the bed .
in this hot weather mungo won’t even sleep in his own bed but prefers the floor .
He has never even tried to jump on the sofa .
I wash my dogs food bowl with hot water and just change the water daily . But he has also buckets outside where he prefers to drink .

We never leave the house without poop bags . I pooper scoop even in the fields as dogs feces can carry Neosporin which is fatal to cows and this is farming country .

I had to google that Muddy.

Apparently Neosporin is a drug? It seems our dogs can this from eating a cows placenta which is infected.

" Dogs can become infected with Neospora after eating the afterbirth of an infected cow, and the eggs shed in their faeces and left in fields ..."

I'd never heard of it before you said.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 07:10 PM

I spelt it wrong Mups I meant neospora

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2F9C7BEB-0F5E-4308-86B5-6B44CD4A2E3D.jpeg
Views:	302
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	16381  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 09:12 PM

I dont know enough about this, Muddy.
I thought they got it from cows, not gave it to cows.
I shall bow to your knowledge on this though.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

23-07-2021, 06:14 PM

I first saw it highlighted on countryfile a couple of years back .
But farmers in this area have also complained about people not picking up their dogs poo where stock grazes

its in quite a lot of animals and dogs can catch it from infected cows too but dogs are the most common host animal and can shed infections on the grass which the cow eats .

. Neosporosis is one of the most common causes of bovine abortion, especially in intensively farmed cows.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

23-07-2021, 07:44 PM

Thanks Muddy.
I'd never heard of it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 12:44 AM

No to dogs or cats in bed, on the covers is ok for a short while but unless you'd be happy to sleep in a cats or dog's bed why would you be happy for them to share yours?

The cats have our kitchen island worktop for their food. This is a compromise for safety reasons because the dog cannot have access to their food (he would wolf it down and then be sick). There is no food prepared on that surface and it's cleaned regularly. The food bowls are washed separately from other dishes in the sink and the dish sponges and brushes are not used for that.

I'm really careful of always washing my hands if I touch any animal. Animals can pick up all sorts of diseases outside that may be harmless to them but could cause irritation or illness in humans. I don't approve of dogs licking people's faces. Not just because the human could catch something from the dog, but also the dog could catch something from us. I know people kiss their dogs and all sorts but it's not necessary to get that close.

Also in terms of plates and cutlery - if you wouldn't eat from the dog or cat bowl why would you let a pet eat from your plate?
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Are you saying the owners allowed this - in your house? Good grief - they would never have been invited to mine again unless they left the dogs at home!
Sorry Silver Tabby. I missed this before. They wouldn’t leave their dogs. When we first met them they only had the one dog who wasn’t fixed and their dog kept going after our small girls which they found cute and funny. Us? Not so much.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top