Join for free
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 02:10 PM

Camping Stoves

I hope this is the right category to ask about them as I wasn't sure but I figured 'Holidays' would include camping holidays & Equipment too???

Last year I bought 2 Camping gaz Bistro 300 stoves for £14 each intending to use them for powercuts (as we'd had a 3 day powercut the year before when it snowed) but I've never actually got round to using them yet.

I got 2 boxes of camping gaz with them (6 in each box) as I had no idea how long each small canister would last.

Firstly will they still work? I'm assuming they'll still be full if not used? ..but maybe the liquid evaporates or something??? (was planning on buying some more this week incase its needed this winter)

Secondly ..as they aren't been used in a tent. could I use them in the house on the kitchen worktop in case of a powercut? (say if had kitchen window open?)

I've never had a gas cooker myself though my mum had one when we were young and I don't remember her always having to have the door and windows open when she cooked dinner??

A family member has a large static caravan too that's got a gas cooker INSIDE and so has other people's towing caravans, so I'm not sure why it always tells you to use gas camp stoves OUTSIDE or in very well ventilated areas?

If I went out and got a gas hob and oven to replace my electric ones in the kitchen I wouldn't have to have the door and windows open every time I used them would I? I don't see what the difference is? (I'm guessing it only tells you to use them OUTSIDE cos they're assuming you're in a tent).

These are the ones I have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C7ftO5a7TU

Thanks

Susan
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 02:21 PM

Re: Camping Stoves

The liquid won’t evaporate, so you can still use them, you need to have ventilation to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, open a window for portable cookers, but permanent appliances need to have a fixed non closable grille of the correct size,
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
The liquid won’t evaporate, so you can still use them, you need to have ventilation to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, open a window for portable cookers, but permanent appliances need to have a fixed non closable grille of the correct size,
oh I see, so if electric appliances had been fitted originally in my house the kitchen wouldn't be set up to switch to gas appliances? (or would need something else fitting so a gas hob could be used instead?)

ok so with the portable camping stoves, the kitchen would be the safest place as one worktop is right under the kitchen window and there is a carbon monoxide alarm fitted in there already.

Was just wondering why I'd have to sit in the freezing cold outside to use them when people had gas cookers in their houses..lol!

The other place would have been sat on floor with patio doors open and camping stoves outside on patio , so if it was freezing I could slide the door shut but still see the food cooking/water boiling through the glass!! ..then just open the door and reach out to get the food/turn it off when it was done!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 06:21 PM

oh I see, so if electric appliances had been fitted originally in my house the kitchen wouldn't be set up to switch to gas appliances? (or would need something else fitting so a gas hob could be used instead?)

Yes you would have to have a gas pipe run into the kitchen, either with natural gas or LPG
Primus1
York

17-08-2019, 06:23 PM

Was just wondering why I'd have to sit in the freezing cold outside to use them when people had gas cookers in their houses..lol!

They probably had a grille somewhere in the kitchen allowing air in,
Susan68
Up North, UK

18-08-2019, 04:06 PM

ok thanks.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top