Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 04:49 PM

Re: Water under car

Get some red food colour from the baking dept of your supermarket and put it into the engine cooling system, by the radiator cap , expansion tank, or whatever you use

Then see what colour the leak water is. This will tell you if the water is from the cooling system, windscreen washer (which will presumably be blue), or aircon
It might even tell you whereabouts on the cooling system the leak is

It'll probably take a couple of days for the dye to work its way round, depending on the mileage you do

Yes, a pressure test on the cooling system would be useful, but perhaps leave it till after you've added the dye, then you're more likely to see any leaks
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Baz he has a Ford Ka not a VW golf. I was just pointing out where he may be able to check.

My first port of call before anything else would be to have a garage do a pressure test on the cooling system, then take it from there
Yes, I realised that and was not making any comparison. I was just saying that as a person who previously used to service and repair my own cars I now know from my VW Golf just what the modern car is like in that regard – impossible!

My other car is now 35 years old and has a 2.8 litre V6 Ford engine, all components are easily visible and accessible just by lifting the bonnet.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 05:44 PM

Welcome to the forum, Sande!

Been raining bit lately...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Check hoses? On my VW Golf it's not possible to even see them! All I see is the top of the engine and battery, oil level dipstick, coolant, brake fluid and windscreen reservoirs. Then I shut the bonnet again realising that no longer can I do my own repairs and servicing!

On modern cars that might just about slide underneath by itself, I would probably have to lose about 90% of my body to be able to slide underneath my car on one of those!
Ha ha me too.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 06:57 PM

Ah yes servicing one own car, those were the days. replacing big end white shell bearing. Decoking valves with a rubber sucker on a stick on the port heads. I hate to think of the number of clutches I have replaced, can't find my clutch aligning tool now. May still have a ring compressor somewhere but no idea what happened to the timing light. Must really have a good hunt around sometime to see what I have left lying about
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 07:34 PM

Others have answered most possibilities, but the a/c will deffo drip water from the drain when in use. Just normal condensation and nothing to worry about.
sande
New Member!
United Kingdom
sande is male 

28-08-2019, 04:41 PM

Thanks all - most helpful.

Have just thought - my aircon has NEVER been used during the last 6 years. Is it likely that lack of use for a long time might cause drips?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by sande ->

Have just thought - my aircon has NEVER been used during the last 6 years. Is it likely that lack of use for a long time might cause drips?
No, but it’s probably allowed the seals to dry out, and the gas to escape..I doubt it will work now anyway, if you’ve never used it for that length of time..
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by sande ->

The weather is very humid at the moment which equates to a greater volume of moisture from the aircon...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top