Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 07:02 AM

Re: Woman mauled to death

Originally Posted by summer ->
Sad case Tabs....think I will stick with cats .
Mine are busy disemboweling each in the hall - I expect the Noise Abatement people will be round any minute!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Mine are busy disemboweling each in the hall - I expect the Noise Abatement people will be round any minute!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 07:58 AM

Would just like to know why it happened.
Yes. Two mastiff dogs in a house with children. The why is the crunch question.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 10:51 AM

The other dog may be fine alone, I wouldn't want to chance it as it's enormous. If it were a small dog I'd take it on as the consequences are less with a small dog. We've had a few violent little monsters only ever had one member of the public bitten and it was his fault not mine or the dog. If some says don't touch the dog don't touch it I say.

I agree all dogs that bite have a trigger.

I used to have a very gentle little girl who went for you if you touched her ears we never knew why but we muzzled her at the vets so he was safe. We managed her by not touching her ears we did try to desensitise her but it was just too dangerous and we were getting nowhere she was getting worse.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 12:01 PM

It is in a secure kennel at the moment, Summer, so everyone is safe. Would just like to know why it happened.

As I said earlier Tabs, I don't see the police can ever find out as the only living witness is a dog.

I would imagine this surviving dog will be quietly put down too.
It will most likely be very traumatised with witnessing the attack and death of its owner, plus being slung into a strange kennel environment now too, so perhaps the best thing to do.
A possible 'killer' Mastiff I knew nothing about, is not a dog I would take on.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 12:41 PM

The only reason I said I'd take a dog that killed is often in a different dynamic they will be fine. I know when we got our second dog it was only time before we had a real problem because he was increasingly violent with our first dog and my husband. We had to rehome him and as a single dog living alone with a woman led a lovely life never so much as growled at anyone else.
I've also had dogs I have had to walk separately because as a pack of two or more they behaved in a dangerous way to others. Alone they were cuddle bunnies loved everyone but for some reason all 3 together they became something else altogether.

I truly believe dogs can be dangerous in certain circumstances and not in others. Don't provide the trigger and they are OK.

They don't make easy pets I'd be careful about having children around them but I wouldn't instantly consider them too violent to live. Obviously they need behaviourists to look at them and I would abide by any decision they made as to the suitability to allow them to live.

I'd also say death isn't the worst thing can happen to a dog there are far worse things can happen to them, two mastiffs in an inexperienced home comes under that banner IMO

I would actually say we need a proper licencing system and people should be only allowed the type and number of dogs they can safely manage. That would preclude many people from having mastiffs etc who have no idea what they are doing.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 12:47 PM

How would you do that Julie ?
Ie allowing people to only have dogs they can manage?
Who would be the judge ?
Who judges a person to ‘know what they are doing ‘ ?

These dogs I understand had no previous history of aggression so it would seem the woman’s did know what she was doing up to the point at which they killed her .
As you say something triggered them to attack what we may never know.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

27-09-2019, 12:53 PM

Training courses prior to getting a dog I'd suggest. At the moment anyone can buy anything I know my limitations I couldn't control a dog needs lots of discipline I am far too kind. I also know my physical limits I only have dogs I know I can control currently 5lb chihuahua is my limit.

No one as a first time owner knows anything like enough. My first puppy I had read everything you had to put down fresh water and they had to have access to it. Fine I could do that, what I hadn't realised is my 5 week puppy would drink anything put down so by time my husband came home from work I was frazzled from puppy wee cleaning up and picking Benny up he actually slooshed inside he was so full of water. Quick lesson only offer Benny a drink a few times a day and limit the amount offered. Don't believe what you read
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 12:57 PM

When I said earlier about all dogs have a trigger, then I said I would not take the surviving Mastiff on personally, I still stand by that.

How would I know what his trigger was - until it was too late?
The weight and power of those breeds is enormous and I certainly wouldn't want to fight with him at my age.

You will never know what went on in his head that day.
Whether he was backing his friend up, or whether he was the instigator, but I personally, would not risk it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Training courses prior to getting a dog I'd suggest. At the moment anyone can buy anything I know my limitations I couldn't control a dog needs lots of discipline I am far too kind. I also know my physical limits I only have dogs I know I can control currently 5lb chihuahua is my limit.

No one as a first time owner knows anything like enough. My first puppy I had read everything you had to put down fresh water and they had to have access to it. Fine I could do that, what I hadn't realised is my 5 week puppy would drink anything put down so by time my husband came home from work I was frazzled from puppy wee cleaning up and picking Benny up he actually slooshed inside he was so full of water. Quick lesson only offer Benny a drink a few times a day and limit the amount offered. Don't believe what you read
Being a first time owner doesn’t really mean anything as there is a first time for everything .
Buying a book on the subject is far cheaper and more practice than taking a training course .
Training courses would have to be tailored to individual breeds Again who would do these courses?

Puppies do wee all over the place you have to take them outside every couple of hours at least .
They don’t have bladder control in the same way a child does not have bladder control
I certainly would not restrict either from drinking .

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top