Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 09:32 PM

What Do You Use Kitchen Scissors For?

Am l an oddity (that was a silly question!) that l cut most food stuff up with a kitchen scissors?

I cut up lettuce, cabbage, pastry, chicken or beef into pieces, sliced onion into pieces, rind off bacon, sometimes sandwiches and much more with a scissors.
I find, l am not cutting up food stuff with a knife so much as l used to, as it’s quicker using kitchen scissors!

I bet many of you do this anyway! Are there any other things that maybe you use a scissors for, rather than a knife?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 09:42 PM

Re: What Do You Use Kitchen Scissors For?

For most food I use one of my surgically sharp knives. However I do use a special scissors for cutting the rind from bacon and for making lardons. The main 'kitchen scissors' are used for cutting greaseproof paper, opening packets of dried fruit/beans/lentils - that sort of thing.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Am l an oddity (that was a silly question!) that l cut most food stuff up with a kitchen scissors?

I cut up lettuce, cabbage, pastry, chicken or beef into pieces, sliced onion into pieces, rind off bacon, sometimes sandwiches and much more with a scissors.
I find, l am not cutting up food stuff with a knife so much as l used to, as it’s quicker using kitchen scissors!

I bet many of you do this anyway! Are there any other things that maybe you use a scissors for, rather than a knife?

How do you keep your scissors sharp, Art?

Have you a particular method, or gadget you would recommend for your kitchen scissors?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 10:04 PM

Yes! I use scissors all the time. Everything from cutting up herbs to quartering chickens, cutting neat strips of meat etc. I use knives as well though. I have about 4 sets of scissors just for the kitchen. Thing is they have to be very sharp. I have a scissor sharpener.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 10:05 PM

I use scissors for lots of things including chopping a small amount of herbs as a garnish.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
How do you keep your scissors sharp, Art?

Have you a particular method, or gadget you would recommend for your kitchen scissors?
Cutting through three or four layers of that tin foil stuff is good for sharpening scissors, Mups. Makes the foil a bit useless though!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Cutting through three or four layers of that tin foil stuff is good for sharpening scissors, Mups. Makes the foil a bit useless though!

Really? Just ordinary kitchen foil folded four thick?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-11-2019, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Yes! I use scissors all the time. Everything from cutting up herbs to quartering chickens, cutting neat strips of meat etc. I use knives as well though. I have about 4 sets of scissors just for the kitchen. Thing is they have to be very sharp. I have a scissor sharpener.

What's your scissor sharpener like, Keezoy?
Is it fiddly, or easy to use?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

14-11-2019, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Really? Just ordinary kitchen foil folded four thick?
Yes - it sounds daft - but it does work. I keep a roll in the craft room for those scissors as well.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-11-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Yes - it sounds daft - but it does work. I keep a roll in the craft room for those scissors as well.

I'll try that Tabs, ta muchly.

I wonder why that works, and whether it works equally well on fairly blunt blades or only sharp-ish ones?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top