Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 07:39 PM

Re: Driving in the Sun

The DOE knows all about that !
lol
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 08:10 PM

It is bad for pedestrians as well - trying to cross a wet road is a hazard!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 08:32 PM

I found the sun very difficult this afternoon with it being so bright and low in the sky. Fortunately the sun visor in my Golf is almost good enough to block it out, not entirely though or I wouldn't be able to see anything at all!

I used to enjoy night driving, nowadays though I just don't go out much in the evenings anyway. With those very bright headlights on modern cars the only way is the old advice, which is to try to 'look past' them the same as is the advice when someone overlooks to dip their headlights. Also always ensure your windscreen is clean both inside and out, it's surprising how much of a 'mist' forms on the inside and goes unnoticed.

There is some information on the links below that may be found useful in relation to the bright headlamps on today's cars:

http://blog.greenflag.com/2017/why-a...to-prevent-it/

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/mot...getting-worse/
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 08:36 PM

Yes, I hate this time of year for driving. It's not just the sun but the blinding light it throws up from the wet on the roads. Just under 3 weeks till shortest day then it will be on the rise again.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
wear sunglasses and leave later, or, get someone else to go
That is what I do & I am only a passenger.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Two trips to recycling this afternoon.

The sun was so low, bright and so dazzling I was unable to see the first time and had to keep stopping.

I have winter screen wash and good wipers but it really was a pain this afternoon.

Anyone else have problems at this time of year?
I used to have a problem with low sun until I had both cataracts replaced by the NHS with fully clear lenses. Now with the help of polarised spectacles I can see clear enough to drive in most light conditions. Perhaps you have cataracts or some growing that need medical attention; the difference in the before and after vision was a miracle to me
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Of course. Doesn't everybody?
The insurmountable problem is when the sun is sufficiently low in the sky that it sits below the fold-down screen.
My solution: drive in the opposite direction.
Drawbacks: you fail to arrive at your preferred destination!

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 01:04 PM

I find the biggest problem is the reflection of the top of the dashboard in the windscreen (something to do with the angle of the screen I'm guessing- I don't remember it on the old, less streamlined cars). The bright reflection makes it difficult to see on narrow country roads. I find that draping a piece of black felt material on top of the dash really helps.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 12:55 AM

I don't worry about it. I just power on. I consider it "faith based driving."

But yes, the older I get the brighter the Sun gets. That goes for headlights approaching at night too.

Of course the night driving in England would be easier for me because I would be driving on the wrong side of the road.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
Of course the night driving in England would be easier for me because I would be driving on the wrong side of the road.
Oh, I shouldn't do that. You'll have a head-on with someone driving on the right side.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top