Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 03:35 PM

Re: Hot mic moments

On the news just now, the American Speaker is proposing to impeach Donald Trump. I'm not sure for exactly what reason, though.

It occurs to me that what is happening here and what is happening in America seem to be going in parallel.

Both Speakers attacking the elected President/Prime Minister. I'm not sure how democratic that is, as I don't know the full details. I sometimes wonder whether both countries ought to be run by their Speakers! Certainly Shrimp Berk-o acted in that way anyway.

What is happening? Everyone seems to be falling out with each other. Here, with Brexit and the general election, and now in America too for some reason.

The EU infantile leaders being rude and behaving like little children. Is the whole of the Western world falling apart?

Who is at the root cause?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
That's because he couldn't be trusted with confidential information. In his determination to include the French in every action, he ended up leaking information to enemy spies. Consequently, he was excluded from important tactical meetings. The man was totally arrogant and despised the 'Anglo Saxon' English and Americans.
Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thank you. That explains clearly what Bruce apparently could not.
It is also a convincing and believable explanation, and fits in with my perception of both de Gaulle and present-day French leaders.
Isn't it amazing you take unsupported 'evidence' as a fact yet question what I said. There is plenty of evidence to show how that drunk Churchill treated de Gaulle here's a bit for starters:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...information.uk
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Isn't it amazing you take unsupported 'evidence' as a fact yet question what I said. There is plenty of evidence to show how that drunk Churchill treated de Gaulle here's a bit for starters:

I have never been one to give any credence to the Grauniad, but have you read the first paragraph of that article?

It states quite clearly what Judd stated and I supported. That Churchill didn't trust de Gaulle for very good reason.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have never been one to give any credence to the Grauniad, but have you read the first paragraph of that article?

It states quite clearly what Judd stated and I supported. That Churchill didn't trust de Gaulle for very good reason.
So what? They didn't like each other? Churchill has form for treating friends and allies like sh!t. Britain got their comeuppance when de Gaulle said, "Non" so they weren't allowed in, now they can't get out. Ironic eh?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

06-12-2019, 11:05 AM

So what? They didn't like each other? Churchill has form for treating friends and allies like sh!t. Britain got their comeuppance when de Gaulle said, "Non" so they weren't allowed in, now they can't get out. Ironic eh?
Ah, I take that as an admission that you were wrong then!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 08:48 PM

If you've a mind to, check out the Dakar expedition of 1940. The British Navy were going there to destroy a Nazi submarine base. Dakar was held by a Vichy French garrison and when De Gaulle found out he insisted that he, and a few men from the Free French Army, went along too. He had visions of turning the garrison away from the Vichy government and supporting him. Subsequently, he, and his men, went to get fitted out in tropical outfits, De Gaulle actually telling the shop assistant where he was going.

Obviously, word got out and so the Vichy government sent out what was left of their navy to intercept the British Fleet in the Med. In any event, De Gaulle insisted that the mission continued and on their arrival at the port, sent out emissaries to appeal to the garrison to reject Petaín and his pro-Nazi Vichy government only to be sent away with fleas in their ears and boots up their backsides.

Churchill and Roosevelt would ban De Gaulle from attending any further high-security meetings after that.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

06-12-2019, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by judd ->
if you've a mind to, check out the dakar expedition of 1940. The british navy were going there to destroy a nazi submarine base. Dakar was held by a vichy french garrison and when de gaulle found out he insisted that he, and a few men from the free french army, went along too. He had visions of turning the garrison away from the vichy government and supporting him. Subsequently, he, and his men, went to get fitted out in tropical outfits, de gaulle actually telling the shop assistant where he was going.

Obviously, word got out and so the vichy government sent out what was left of their navy to intercept the british fleet in the med. In any event, de gaulle insisted that the mission continued and on their arrival at the port, sent out emissaries to appeal to the garrison to reject petaín and his pro-nazi vichy government only to be sent away with fleas in their ears and boots up their backsides.

Churchill and roosevelt would ban de gaulle from attending any further high-security meetings after that.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top