Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 09:46 PM

Charging Family for Christmas Dinner

Would you or have you in the past said this is what you pay ?
I think if you invite someone to eat , then you pay .Not the guest .

So this lady is charging £17 a head , is this cheeky or fair ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46345677..

Hosting Christmas lunch for friends and family can be expensive, so could charging them for the meal be a way to cope?

This time of year is pretty pricy for most people. There are presents to buy, Christmas outings and parties to shell out for and on top of that there's the traditional yuletide lunch.

The cost of festive nibbles, fancy side dishes, the turkey, cake, pudding and alcohol all add up, especially if you're hosting extended family and friends, as well as your immediate family.

And that's before you account for the stress and extra work involved in cooking such a large meal.

Could charging guests for their meal be one way to cope?

When a user on parenting forum Mumsnet said her mother-in-law had decided to charge her family £17-a-head to attend this year's Christmas dinner it sparked a mixed response.

Some thought it was fair enough given the cost, while others said it simply wasn't in keeping with the season's spirit of togetherness and generosity.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 09:56 PM

Re: Charging Family for Christmas Dinner

No, a great friend of ours for nearly 50 years her husband died a few years back, so now we invite her each year to spend Christmas day with us . That is what friends and relatives do .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 09:57 PM

Definitely not, no but then we don't have friends around for Christmas dinner. It's a day to be spent with family and you don't ask your own flesh and blood to pay for a meal you have invited them too.

In our circle of friends at other times of the year we sometimes have house parties. Whosever house it is they put on a buffet or other food and the guests bring along what they want to drink.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 10:03 PM

so long as they bring a bottle ...
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 10:59 PM

Never in a million years. It's one of many of our greatest pleasures.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 11:05 PM

When it's my turn to host - once in every three years - I charge £10 a head (£5 for children) and the £95 is made up to £100 and donated to my favourite charity.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 11:21 PM

I wouldn't dream of charging my family for Christmas dinner!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 11:26 PM

I am sure this topic came up last year

The question wouldn't arise with me I don't eat 'christmas dinner' shudders
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 11:59 PM

Cooking for a load of people is my worse nightmare.
I'd pay them to stay away!!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 12:04 AM

I first read this thread as "changing family for Christmas". As in swap with one you get on with.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top