Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 09:10 PM

Re: A Month's Rain Tomorrow

Id stay in Bruce if you no need to go out,stay safe.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
We have torrential rain here in Devon today, all day & it's windy & I have lights on in the house as it's so dark.
It's been like that in Yorkshire today too, Tiffany. Bloody horrible!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 09:32 PM

Sydney airport is only operating on one runway. Flash flooding and severe thunderstorms happening north of Wollongong. The SES has made 6 rescues so far.

I read about the rain in Devon (Devon Live) but 50mm in 24 hours is not really comparable to 70mm in one hour surely? I have a friend in Exeter who rang me yesterday complaining about the rain. Though such rain is annoying it would be welcome here especially in the far west.

Whilst most areas will see a rather wet spell, not everywhere will see the heaviest downpours. Where they do occur, 20-40 mm may fall in 6-12 hours, with perhaps around 50 mm falling in 24 hours - most likely across southeast-facing coasts and moors of Devon and Cornwall.
Total Illawarra rain for November until yesterday 41mm.

On the bright side the rain has released NSW Bush Fire brigades to travel up to Queensland to help fight the bush fires there.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-...orsen/10557050
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 11:21 PM

I take it all back about your Devon rain; this meteorological event is turning into a bit of a fizzer locally. Sure it is pouring with rain but nothing extraordinary. Sydney copped it earlier but not where I live (so far).

Still the seas are running with a 5 metre swell and the wind is yet to come.

Sydney always gets more extreme weather than we do because it is a large basin between the (Blue) mountains and the sea whereas as locally the mountains are only a few kms from the sea so the weather doesn't get time to develop. The worse we get are katabatic winds.

(I am not an expert on the weather but I have a friend who is a storm chaser so some of his enthusiasm and knowledge rubs off)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2018.11.28_09h05m54s_001_.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	8043  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

28-11-2018, 06:12 AM

4pm...

As I said a total fizzer for Wollongong, it has rained steadily and continually since this morning with over 35mm falling so far but nothing like the deluge that Sydney received. I would guess that by this evening we will have doubled our month's rainfall. Very unexciting, the wind hasn't arrived either - that I can do without.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-...mmute/10560198

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-...mmute/10560198

There is a massive, dangerous thunderstorm heading for Sydney from the Hunter Region

Meanwhile:

Queensland bushfires prompt 'firestorm' warning for people in Deepwater, Rules Beach and nearby areas

Authorities warn residents not to be complacent as 138 fires burn across Queensland with catastrophic fire conditions expected to continue well in to the night.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-...-blog/10561514

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top