Join for free
Page 15 of 16 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 04:43 PM

Re: Runner Beans

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Spooky!

That's weird, I'm sure it has been warm enough to start them off. Oh well, I just need to be more patient I suppose. The plants I bought last year came up quickly but I wasn't over keen on the beans themselves whereas this time I have some recommended on here.
LD have you got any beans left, if so I would sow them now in a big pot and start them off in the house as 'insurance' in case the others don't come up .
Luckily I did this with my spare beans intending to give them away. Yesterday I dug where I had planted the beans directly into the ground and there is no sign of them I have planted out my 'spare ' beans so should be ok.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
LD have you got any beans left, if so I would sow them now in a big pot and start them off in the house as 'insurance' in case the others don't come up .
Luckily I did this with my spare beans intending to give them away. Yesterday I dug where I had planted the beans directly into the ground and there is no sign of them I have planted out my 'spare ' beans so should be ok.
Yes good idea Meg. Why didn't I think of that?

I have a few left and a pot load from last years as a last resort.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 06:07 PM

My beans have been a disaster too, in fact I had to order some plants in as an insurance and they arrived today... first time they've ever failed me, no idea what went wrong.....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
My beans have been a disaster too, in fact I had to order some plants in as an insurance and they arrived today... first time they've ever failed me, no idea what went wrong.....
This is getting weirder by the minute Barry.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 06:23 PM

Hi

The Woodpigeons have had mine, and my French Beans.

Never an issue in the Village, I shot them.

Can't do that in town with my garden backing onto the School Playing Fields.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

23-05-2019, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I know I shouldn't but I had to laugh at that. Reminds me of Leslie from the Durrells.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Gosh Barry that's unusual for you.
My BIL a seasoned gardener who lives not that far from you in Derbyshire has never had a failure with beans before. He wonders if there was a faulty batch of seeds being distributed by many suppliers. He knows others on the allotment who have had problems this year.

Having received a very late order from Thompsons and Morgans last year where my BIL gets his seeds I tried Fothergills this year .
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looking good so far...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

23-05-2019, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Swimm the beggers ate every last leaf on my Purple Sprouting Broccoli they are a real pain.

It isn't too late to plant some more.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Gosh Barry that's unusual for you.
My BIL a seasoned gardener who lives not that far from you in Derbyshire has never had a failure with beans before. He wonders if there was a faulty batch of seeds being distributed by many suppliers. He knows others on the allotment who have had problems this year.

Having received a very late order from Thompsons and Morgans last year where my BIL gets his seeds I tried Fothergills this year .
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looking good so far...
I changed from T&M to Marshalls this year but many of the seeds just rotted off, and out of those that did germinate I only got four plants to thrive. If the beans do turn out well this year then I will leave some to mature on the plants and keep them for next year's seed...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

24-05-2019, 12:09 PM

I bring news.....

Two shoots have appeared this morning, one in the pot and one in what I will be calling Meg's trench. That's two out of twenty so far.

Page 15 of 16 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top