Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 05:24 PM

Re: Do you find celebrity chefs patronising?

Originally Posted by Judd ->
My pet hate is how they cook lamb so it's still pink in the middle so much so that a good vet could probably get it back on its feet. Meat should be cooked properly not left borderline raw.
Do you know, I couldn't agree more!
When did this penchant for bloody meat take over?
I've also been served pork rare! Yuk! Yuk!
I don't like blood in meat.
I like my meat cooked!

The last straw came when I was on holiday in England, and a Sunday lunch option was roast beef.
The main part of the roast was obviously too bloody for me, so I asked for a slice from the other, thin end. To my horror, that was also bloody!

I ended up having the vegetarian option!

Whatever happened to catering for all tastes?

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The only chef I have any time for is Raymond Blanc even if he's a Frenchman. He seems to be a nice bloke, is an excellent chef and is very enthusiastic about what he cooks.
Ouch!

There are lots of nice French people!

As regards chefs' opinions...... well, they know a lot about food, and they know a lot about how food can be cooked in order to preserve the qualities of the type of food they are cooking.

It doesn't hurt to try it the 'proper' way, but then to experiment and adapt it to serve one's personal taste.
I'm sure a purist would have found my recent weird risottos quite sacrilegious, but I was using what I had at the time, and it still turned out yummy!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 06:05 PM

Many of them do seem to be patronising but then I am just an amateur when it comes to cooking, anything more than just basics I find too much. What I need is basic food to keep me alive more than anything!

My favourites are Tom Kerridge, he's down to earth with easy to follow instructions. Hairy Bikers for the same reason and Lorraine Pascale I also find interesting.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 08:41 PM

TBH I'm not really into cooking now but I have enjoyed watching cookery programmes in the past - rather nice to salivate at the lovely dishes. Good job I can't smell them or it might make me get into cooking better meals for myself again - and that would never do

Yes, I've seen The Hairy Bikers - I like them, no airs or graces, just come across as rock solid blokes.

Although he died a couple of yrs ago, I used to enjoy an Italian chap too, Antonio Carluccio. I loved everything about him and would've liked him as my grandad

Re Gordon, yes he's fiery and foul mouthed, but I've known worse and can look past that. What's swearing when you've made good and raised your kids properly, with values and aspirations? He's a 'salt of the earth, feet on the ground' bloke and I reckon a big softie underneath that fire .
Ex-council lad, abusive father, left home at 16 and here he is. Self made through hard work. No nonsense with his kids either, 'If you want it, go work for it - I'm not giving it you' . Won't even allow them to fly First Class with him.... 'Why should they? I worked to get here, so can they!'
Good on him. Shame other celebs don't raise their kids the same way.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
TBH I'm not really into cooking now but I have enjoyed watching cookery programmes in the past - rather nice to salivate at the lovely dishes. Good job I can't smell them or it might make me get into cooking better meals for myself again - and that would never do

Yes, I've seen The Hairy Bikers - I like them, no airs or graces, just come across as rock solid blokes.

Although he died a couple of yrs ago, I used to enjoy an Italian chap too, Antonio Carluccio. I loved everything about him and would've liked him as my grandad

Re Gordon, yes he's fiery and foul mouthed, but I've known worse and can look past that. What's swearing when you've made good and raised your kids properly, with values and aspirations? He's a 'salt of the earth, feet on the ground' bloke and I reckon a big softie underneath that fire .
Ex-council lad, abusive father, left home at 16 and here he is. Self made through hard work. No nonsense with his kids either, 'If you want it, go work for it - I'm not giving it you' . Won't even allow them to fly First Class with him.... 'Why should they? I worked to get here, so can they!'
Good on him. Shame other celebs don't raise their kids the same way.
Hi

Yes, he is not my favourite, he swears far too much.

You have to admire his parenting skills.

Very down to earth and preparing his kids for the real world.

They are not precocious little prats.

They can hold their own in the local comprehensive, unlike a lot of Celeb Kids who have no idea of real life.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 06:31 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong and a lot right with finding out the correct way to do something. Ignorance may be bliss but you will often be missing out on a greater pleasure.
That being said, there are not many celebrity chefs I pay attention to - Nigel Slater, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, the Hairy Bikers for some unknown reason, Rick Stein and that's about it.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 07:07 PM

To elaborate on patronising chefs.....

Years back I ate in La Gavroche in London.
There were no condiments (salt & pepper) on the tables.

Once my meal was served and I tried it, I asked for salt & pepper. I was advised that it's not on the tables as the Chef has seasoned the food "perfectly" and should not be required.

Patronising cobblers!. Everyone has a different palette.
I insisted anyway and they brought some out rather reluctantly. That aside, I didn't feel the food was up to the hype or worth the cost anyway.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 07:22 PM

Salt 'n Pepper to taste is a British thing, rarely seen in mainland europe. In fact, more traditionally, the host (cook) might take such a request as a bit of an insult. My Portuguese mother-in-law is a bit like that ... and her cooking is too salt for my liking. Different cultures, embrace it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->

Ouch!

There are lots of nice French people!

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
I don't think there is anything wrong and a lot right with finding out the correct way to do something. Ignorance may be bliss but you will often be missing out on a greater pleasure.
That being said, there are not many celebrity chefs I pay attention to - Nigel Slater, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, the Hairy Bikers for some unknown reason, Rick Stein and that's about it.
I just think Nigel Slater is hilarious. "" I found this white pearl albino caviar sitting at the back of my fridge, so I'm going to stick it on a bit of toast''

What he needs to do is have a wash and a shave, he looks like a bag lady.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-06-2019, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
To elaborate on patronising chefs.....

Years back I ate in La Gavroche in London.
There were no condiments (salt & pepper) on the tables.

Once my meal was served and I tried it, I asked for salt & pepper. I was advised that it's not on the tables as the Chef has seasoned the food "perfectly" and should not be required.

Patronising cobblers!. Everyone has a different palette.
I insisted anyway and they brought some out rather reluctantly. That aside, I didn't feel the food was up to the hype or worth the cost anyway.
B'stards! What about some Daddies sauce?

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top