Join for free
MaryCanary
New Member!
Seattle
MaryCanary is female 

06-08-2015, 04:22 AM

Writing a memoir

Hi! I am beginning the journey of writing a memoir for my late service dog, Mame. Has anyone here ever written a memoir? Has anyone ever wanted to? I think it would be a great discussion.

I know what my voice is...a little humor, a lot of insight, and a motivation to open up new perspectives to others. I would love to hear what other people's voices are in writing, and bounce some ideas!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 05:10 AM

Re: Writing a memoir

WELCOME to our forum Mary.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 07:16 AM

Welcome Mary - what a lovely idea, to write a memoir for a dog, and your approach to to the task sounds good.

I have not done a memoir entire from scratch - but did 'ghost' write for a local celebrity a couple of years ago. It was a strange task as she was, unfortunately, spiralling into dementia and kept repeating events. Throughout her life she had kept reams of notes, theatrical programmes, press cutting etc with the idea of writing a book - but they were not in any sort of order. At least I was able to talk to those who had known her well and gain perspective.

It would be interesting to read about your dog - what service did he/she work for ?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 07:49 AM

A lovely idea.

Be personal, readers like to really get inside a charecter's head.

There are loads of self publishing oppertunities nowdays so no reason not to get your wonderful story out into the world.
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 08:25 AM

my husband has written several books, including autobiographical. send me a private message if you'd like his email address, I'm sure he could assist.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 08:56 AM

Welcome to the forum Mary. you have encouraged me to gather up my parchment & quills to resume my meanderings.
MaryCanary
New Member!
Seattle
MaryCanary is female 

26-08-2015, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
WELCOME to our forum Mary.
Thanks, Alan! I appreciate your welcoming, and I look forward to connecting with all of you!
MaryCanary
New Member!
Seattle
MaryCanary is female 

26-08-2015, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Welcome Mary - what a lovely idea, to write a memoir for a dog, and your approach to to the task sounds good.

I have not done a memoir entire from scratch - but did 'ghost' write for a local celebrity a couple of years ago. It was a strange task as she was, unfortunately, spiralling into dementia and kept repeating events. Throughout her life she had kept reams of notes, theatrical programmes, press cutting etc with the idea of writing a book - but they were not in any sort of order. At least I was able to talk to those who had known her well and gain perspective.

It would be interesting to read about your dog - what service did he/she work for ?
Hey Silver!

My dog Mame, (named after Auntie Mame from the Broadway Musical) came from Canine Companions for Independence. CCI, was one of the first service dog organizations.

I want to tie in the experience of the animal communicator who assisted me, with a biography.
MaryCanary
New Member!
Seattle
MaryCanary is female 

26-08-2015, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
my husband has written several books, including autobiographical. send me a private message if you'd like his email address, I'm sure he could assist.
Wow! Thanks Debbie, I will send you a private message!
MaryCanary
New Member!
Seattle
MaryCanary is female 

26-08-2015, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Welcome to the forum Mary. you have encouraged me to gather up my parchment & quills to resume my meanderings.
Hey Robert,

Let me know if you write anything! I look forward to reading it!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top