Join for free
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 08:25 PM

Are Our Kids Tough Enough

Has anyone been watching 'Are our kids Tough Enough ' on a Tuesday ? I have not been following it ,but have seen bits of it.I cant make up my mind if its a joke,or what its supposed to achieve.The teenagers are being taught by Chinese teachers ,who believe Chinese education is the best in the world,Last night one teenager was drinking a cup of tea ,while another was eating a bowl of jelly ,during lessons, they take no notice at all of the teachers, just mess about .Is this for real? I know our kids are badly disciplined but didnt think they were that bad.But the minute the English Head teacher walked into the room they were quiet and paid attention to him
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2015, 06:40 AM

Re: Are Our Kids Tough Enough

I've watched the first two episodes and I have mixed feelings.

The Chinese method of teaching is 'chalk and talk', far different to the interactive approach used here. There are clips of Chinese classes shown too - up to 50 in a class and the teacher is revered as a demi-god, no discussions, no arguments, just solid note-taking.

The teachers were given a group of Year 9 pupils for this experiment and at Year 9, no class is going to take easily to this method of instruction. The behaviour was appalling - bunking off lessons, taking a kettle in to make cups of tea, shouting out and generally creating bedlam.

I have sympathy for the teachers, unused to the British approach to learning, but concerned at their apparent failure. Also, I have sympathy for the class which struggled and finally gave up any attempts to learn, although I can't condone their behaviour which at the least was rude.

Episode two finished with a parents' open evening where the teachers addressed the parents (sitting at desks, teacher at the front as would happen in China) where the Chinese staff expressed the hope that parents would help to motivate their children. One interesting point raised was that in China, there's a one-child policy, where parents support and encourage their children through their education in a system where no job, no state benefits equates to a very poor standard of life. Therefore, the child 'honours' his/her parents and teachers for giving them the opportunity of advancement.

An interesting documentary - the class takes its exams in the next episode, where the results will be compared to a similar class, taught in the British way.

Gwyn

e
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2015, 08:45 AM

I haven't seen the programme but can well imagine the behaviour of the children
Totally different in China and I feel too late for us to go back to the discipline we experienced. They are not receiving discipline at home so teachers have a very hard task and many are leaving the profession.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2015, 10:54 AM

I haven't seen it either but that isn't behaviour I recognise from year anythings at schools. Seems to me they were protesting at being treated rather badly IMO. This chalk it on the board and no questions system cannot work here we have taught our kids to ask questions and think for themselves. If that results in less academic adults I cannot see it's bad, have you worked with Chinese people ? they are not easy people to work with or for I much prefer our more humanity based teaching being out the humanity in us all.

We undoubtedly need to tweak the system as some kids are not benefitting but a complete change like this NO !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2015, 11:16 AM

Its a pointless experiment - will never take off here
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2015, 05:51 PM

I've never worked with Chinese children, but I quite agree that that method of teaching would never appeal here.

It makes me wonder why the 'experiment' took place. The results so far have been frustrated and upset teachers and pupils. Did the Headmaster do his research into the approach to be used? If he did, then I'm surprised that he condoned it.

Gwyn
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2015, 07:41 PM

Telling my son about it he reckons its a put up with the school to show our method of teaching works better ,because when the Head teachers walked into the classroom the children were quiet and attentive.In China children spend nearly all their time doing lessons. I dont think Id want my child to do this

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top